Engine will not start

willdoucette

Local time
1:20 PM
Hello all, I just finished my first kit and tried to start up engine for first time. When I eased off the clutch and eased on the throttle to start the engine, the engine did not start, and I just came to a halt as the clutch was released. My guess was either a carb problem or an electrical problem, so I was going for check the spark plug for spark. However, when I looked up to how check spark plug, it said to kick start engine with spark plug out of the engine head(still in the cable end yes) and touching the engine head metal. I tried this, but the youtube video I watched on how to do this said to disengage the clutch, but when I do that, I can’t kickstart the engine bc the back wheel cannot turn when the engine is off and the clutch is disengaged. Am I missing something here? Is there another reason why my engine is not starting? Thanks

If you came to a halt when the clutch was released and the back wheel won't turn with the clutch disengaged now, the chain may have gotten bound up under sprocket cover.

When the engine is off, Isn’t the back wheel only supposed to be able to spin when the clutch is engaged though?
I don’t think that is what happened, thank you though

okay, so i checked for spark, and according to the YouTube video i watched, if you pull in the clutch, and hold the unscrewed spark plug end to the engine head (with the other side still connected to the cable), and then give it a hard pedal, there should be a spark. Just tried that, and got nothing. pretty sure my wiring is correct, how can i figure out what the problem is now? thanks

also one more thing, when i tried to start to start up the engine for the first time, there was a little gas leaking out of the bottom of the carb, is that okay/normal?

also,different question, when i try to tighten the carb to the engine it gets pretty tight so it definitely wont come off, but if i push hard enough with my hand, the carb will turn a bit to either side, which means its not super tight with the intake manifold, is that okay?

With the spark plug out and lying on the head push the bike with the clutch out, you should hear the piston cycling and see spark .

Ya I didn’t get any spark, my wires are all connected properly. Is it possible I just got a bad electrical part with my kit? This is my first kit

Unhook the kill switch wires and try again, blue to blue and black to black. Try a different plug next.

Back