Engine Trouble Engine won't start. Has been running great!

jmden

Local time
9:46 PM
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/engine-dies-at-idle-once-warmed-up.51322/

Above post is mine and I got all that stuff fixed and it was running great! Starting well, not dying at any point, plenty of speed and power. Added the right NGK Iridium plug and it ran great, etc. etc. Went back to start it a couple of days ago and haven't been able to start it since. Occasional sputter.

I've pulled the plug and checked for spark. Seems like a really strong spark. Fuel is definitely getting in there as all the attempts at starting (with or w/o choke) has nasty black fuel/oil mix dripping out muffler. I'm not choking anymore than I always have and pretty much not choking it at all lately as that's almost always the cause of engines not starting.

I've tried changing c-clip from top spot to second from top. Then tried going from .075 jet to .070. No change. Found that brass thing that fuel line from tank goes into was slighly loose. Tightened that.

Thing will no start. Doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?

https://motoredbikes.com/threads/engine-dies-at-idle-once-warmed-up.51322/

Above post is mine and I got all that stuff fixed and it was running great! Starting well, not dying at any point, plenty of speed and power. Added the right NGK Iridium plug and it ran great, etc. etc. Went back to start it a couple of days ago and haven't been able to start it since. Occasional sputter.

I've pulled the plug and checked for spark. Seems like a really strong spark. Fuel is definitely getting in there as all the attempts at starting (with or w/o choke) has nasty black fuel/oil mix dripping out muffler. I'm not choking anymore than I always have and pretty much not choking it at all lately as that's almost always the cause of engines not starting.

I've tried changing c-clip from top spot to second from top. Then tried going from .075 jet to .070. No change. Found that brass thing that fuel line from tank goes into was slighly loose. Tightened that.

Thing will no start. Doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?
If there is alot of oil comming out the exhaust it's possible that the engine has fuel sitting in the case making it to rich to start up try pulling the spark plug and ride it around to blow out any access and try again.

OK. Changed back to my 3 prong plug and it ran immediately. Had the iridium gapped at .025. Changed that .020 and it was trying to start, sputtered then no go. Tried a second iridium--no go. Gapped (as best as can with these things) the 3 prong to .025 and engine was running...then not running then running while riding. I'd never gapped the 3 prong plug and taking a look at it, it had one prong about .027 and the other too under .020. I guess I'll gap the three prong down to .020 and see what happens.

Weird that the first iridium gapped at .025 had no trouble the first ride I took it on. Bike sat for a day or two and come back and have all this trouble.

OK. Changed back to my 3 prong plug and it ran immediately. Had the iridium gapped at .025. Changed that .020 and it was trying to start, sputtered then no go. Tried a second iridium--no go. Gapped (as best as can with these things) the 3 prong to .025 and engine was running...then not running then running while riding. I'd never gapped the 3 prong plug and taking a look at it, it had one prong about .027 and the other too under .020. I guess I'll gap the three prong down to .020 and see what happens.

Weird that the first iridium gapped at .025 had no trouble the first ride I took it on. Bike sat for a day or two and come back and have all this trouble.
That does seem a little odd do you have a multi meter(dmv) you could test your cdi and stator with?

Cracked electrode out the box.

Back