Engine won’t start, screeches then shuts off

Does it only do it when letting out on clutch when taking off?
No... it seems to do it all the time.. sounds louder than the exhaust. I need to ride again tomorrow and narrow it down. Has sounded like this from the start. I have only burned less than a gallon of gas so far on this engine also. I have nothing to compare it to....no other bike guys anywhere around me and this is my first build of course. I am pretty sure that at any speed when I pull in the clutch I can actually then here the engine rev / normal expected sound.

No... it seems to do it all the time.. sounds louder than the exhaust. I need to ride again tomorrow and narrow it down. Has sounded like this from the start. I have only burned less than a gallon of gas so far on this engine also. I have nothing to compare it to....no other bike guys anywhere around me and this is my first build of course. I am pretty sure that at any speed when I pull in the clutch I can actually then here the engine rev / normal expected sound.
Mine was acting that way when I first got mine going, but by the second full tank of gas & noise went away. Then I readjusted clutch after it was seated in. Mine was fairly noisy when new, by the second tank most noise went away. I tighten my flower nut 3 notches after 2-3tanks of fuel.

Maybe foreign material between plate and the backer or stuck to the pads, try popping off the plate and dusting it out.

Now that I have wheels that seem to work, I can start tinkering with the engine. Thanks for the tips. Only 37 outside in Paradise this morning, so good day for cleaning up the shop.

The clutch noise is common. I just live with it. It is made of 15 M&M (peanut) sized pads.
The material is questionable in QC, and can melt if your clutch slips all the time, or you abuse it. There are expert bike abusers on the forum that can attest to that.
The pinion and ring gears also make noise. QC is even more questionable. I had to change a pinion out, brand new, because it was riding on the outside 1/2 of the ring gear. The tapered hole wasn't machined deep enough. They run thousands of these every day at the factories. Employees aren't allowed to point out flaws in parts to the boss. Not a lot of money is spent making some parts of these engines.

i think my clutch is screechng. I seems to function ok.. what do I need to do? Tighten or loosen the flower nut?
I had a loud screech noise coming from my brand new eBay motor. I pulled the clutch and found two crankcase screws behind it were loose. The screw heads were rubbing on the backside of the clutch. From there I went over the rest of the motor. You wouldn't believe how many hidden loose fasteners I found.

I had a loud screech noise coming from my brand new eBay motor. I pulled the clutch and found two crankcase screws behind it were loose. The screw heads were rubbing on the backside of the clutch. From there I went over the rest of the motor. You wouldn't believe how many hidden loose fasteners I found.
It's a gamble when you buy the no names and cheapies.

Back