Engine won’t start, screeches then shuts off

BrodyLawrence

Local time
1:27 PM
So I recently bought a 2 stroke motor kit. Specifically the bbr tuning angle fire. I put upgraded motor mounts and past that, no other upgrades. I had to put the top end together, including the jug, piston, and head.

After days of troubleshooting, I finally got the motor to start and it ran perfect, no problem. Was running a little rich but was no problem.

I tried it the next morning and it wasn’t getting any compression. Turns out to be a head gasket leak, which I’ve read isn’t a big problem and will resolve itself if it’s minimal. I didn’t realize that at first and decided to tighten the head way too much. It then turned on no problem. I rode it and it was going great until a loud screeching sound came from the motor and it shut off. It turned out that I stripped a head hex nut out off the stud. The stud was fine and didn’t damage the engine at all.

I later on put everything back together with a new nut and it keeps making the same screeching sound when trying to turn on. When it gets and sort of combustion in the cylinder or any gas it screeches. It seems to follow the piston stroke because it was clicking too.

I took everything apart and nothing was damaged or out of place. I even bent the spark plug prongs up thinking that the piston was hitting the spark plug. I also thought that maybe the piston was hitting the head gasket but it seems to be wayyyy worse of a sound than that would make. I even checked the carb because the ticking/screeching followed the throttle. It barely even starts so it’s hard to tell.

like I said, I’ve checked everything I know of. Any advice for me? Do I need a new motor? Should I call the manufacturer to see if they have a solution?

edit: I’m going to replace the head gasket and double up on it and adjust some other minor things to see if it starts up

Last edited:
Here’s a picture of it. I have the huffy nel lusso beach cruiser

Attachments

• 5BDC57E4-B366-450B-A4F1-C6F12D9FC915.jpeg
    5BDC57E4-B366-450B-A4F1-C6F12D9FC915.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 264
Well im not sure about the screeching problem but i sure can tell ya to tighten that chain up...Waaay too loose and is an accident looking for a place to happen...DAMIEN
Was an old picture. It’s been fixed since. Thanks though

I had to put the top end together, including the jug, piston, and head.

it wasn’t getting any compression. Turns out to be a head gasket leak,

I later on put everything back together with a new nut and it keeps making the same screeching sound when trying to turn on. When it gets and sort of combustion in the cylinder or any gas it screeches. It seems to follow the piston stroke because it was clicking too.
Do you still have a head gasket leak? A head gasket leak can cause a screech and a tick sound
I even bent the spark plug prongs up
Bent the Prongs UP ??? Did you Gap you Spark Plug - Recommended is .025"th

Give this a shot pull the clutch cover and look on the back side of cover a see if there groves in it. Just a idea . Be safe and hope this help.
No grooves, but lots of black residue. No damage to gears though I wasn’t able to find a way to get the flower screw thing off to inspect the clutch. It does seem that maybe the problem. Though when I have it disengaged it’s fine and when it’s engaged and the head is off the piston is running up and down the cylinder perfectly fine

Do you still have a head gasket leak? A head gasket leak can cause a screech and a tick sound

Bent the Prongs UP ??? Did you Gap you Spark Plug - Recommended is .025"th
Yes, still a small head gasket leak. It’s nothing terrible. It still creates vacuum and doesn’t lose too much power. Though I haven’t been able to start it to check recently. The leak is all over but mostly on the exhaust side. The spark plug works fine. Just tapped the prongs down a little bit, there is still a good amount of space and it still creates spark fine. Could you elaborate on the screeching sounds that could be caused by the leak?

Back