Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

You drive chain may not be straight or too loose and the chain bunched up against the front of the back left side cover where the clutch arm goes in.
Pull that cover, you'll see the scratches in the cover, just cut out where the scratches are in the cover.

what the hell happen to my post bought a CDI from BikeBerry junk out of the box brand new junk expensive bu berry said take shot for them to see thats big relief cuz I don't wanta pay for shipping a dead thing back so they can toss it in the garbage in California I did the sparkplug test at ight had thousands of sparks went to bed with a smile next day tried to run it not even a pop the thing fluuxuates did the test again no spark ohms should be around 6 to 8 ohms not 171 means to much resistance.

Attachments

• IMG_20161126_140353.jpg
    IMG_20161126_140353.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 227
spark

Towed mine upto about 30 and couldn't get more than a slight tingle
from the plug ( yes I did use the redneck plug tester and held on to it )
I'm not sure how to find the information to test the mag or coil , can
anyone help?
Use ohms on a volt meter mag 300 to 450 ohms CDI

Use ohms on a volt meter mag 300 to 450 ohms CDI
thanks everybody

Hi everybody, I want to say thank you to everybody who's posted. Your help has been great. I know I wasn't the one asking for help but your guys posting for others has helped me alot. I had a spark plug that had a nice blue spark but my engin wasn't running. Then I read about how a spark plug may spark when you check it but won't under compression. That was my problem. New plug (NGK 6HS) and no more problems. So thanks everybody for all the help.
Glad to hear some good news I 'd piss on a hot spark plug if would turn my engine try it tomorrow

Hi ; I bought all new electrical components before I read this. The addition of new CDI and Magneto did nothing to help my bike not starting.. went through the included guide Not the problem; still will not fire. I did pull the head and finally the body only to find a broken piston ring; no compression, no fire I guess?? Anyway, will order new rings tomorrow. I managed to break one ring then another, and then the third. Awful brittle lil gems!!!

I am sure there is an easier way to load the rings and get them back into the cylinder. I tried just squeezing them but found it very difficult. A friend said he uses hose clamps. If you know an easier way, please let me know. Also, if anyone can tell me where , other than off the internet, i.e. bike shop, moped shop, etc. that might sell what I need, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for the advice!

Gary
Got be careful and look inside the ring grove there is a little kiss button that part there is for the slit if you place it over way to goddamn big you'll never get your head over it also you must have at least 2 head bolts in to slide it over got to be match just right the is a sinch to know those 2 things had auto parts teller tell me take a large rubber mallat bang it the kid was f***ing nut don't do dont force if there need be forcce take another close look to see the ring did not turn over the kiss button you may need to reposition it other than that its a breeze.

I install the piston/rings into the cylinder while the piston is disconnected from the connecting rod.
Then holding everything in place I install the wrist pin, bearing, and clips.

If your Happy Time engine isnt starting then work your way through this guide to identify and fix the problem. Still no hope? then just ask...
With many thanks to BoltsMissing who compiled this great troubleshooting guide. Thanks to Lordoflightaz too for a few tips :)

Firstly start off by checking that the fuel petcock is on and you have fuel. Check the wires to the CDI. Make sure that they are connected. The cheap connectors come loose
You forgot something got spark, got gas if wont run you got crack! No toe rope will start it!

1. Remove spark plug, check gap.
2. Check for spark with lead on plug and earth spark plug on cylinder head fin.

Lift the rear wheel, and give it one good hard pedal down as if you are
kick-starting a bike. If plug sparks at the tip, re-install the spark plug. (just bear in mind that I have had plugs that fire under no compression(Not in engine)but had no spark under compression(In engine)This can be a pain if you Don't know this.You could pull your hair out with this problem,new plugs are cheap!)

2a. If no spark, check Plug cap. I had to replace mine with a NGK Right Angle spark plug cap, (don't know the part No. though)
2b. Repalce lead anyway with Copper wire lead.
Check for spark again with new lead and plug cap
That's the electrical done from start of lead to end of plug tip.

If Spark, then go to Fuel.
If No Spark, go to Magneto and CDI.
But don't just replace the Magneto and CDI unless you do all the obove to.
That way you have a clean sweep out of sight out of kind type of thing of the electrics.

Fuel.

Remove Carby, AFTER Spark is all clear as explained above.
Remove fuel bowl, see if it was full or any fuel was in there.
If not, check fuel line and needle/seat where the fuel line plugs in.
There may be some grit.
If it had fuel in fuel bowl, re-fit carby.

Fuel is OK up to fuel bowl end.

Clutch adjustment, just go through the motions at the cable end. There should be no slack.
Can't say much about whats behind the clutch cover, never had one with problems ,yet.

By this time you probably flooded it trying to start and doing the other testings.

Then as last resort as I mentioned earlier,
Tow start,
and this will "flush out" the remaining cob-webs, and it ought to go.
Tow around the block or whatever until all reasonable doubt is undoubted if it still don't start. Be very careful though as this could be dangerous!

Failing a tow start, then start the inspection process again the next day, so take a break, it's only a Happy Time (HT) engine.
This time check for Head/Lower cylinder/Exhaust and Carby Gasket leaks etc.
Point is, dwelve deeper into the problem.
Tow again if all looks OK.

Remember if an engine has compression, fuel (air and petrol) and a spark then it must fire, it doesnt have a choice! ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-12-05-16-35-05.png
    Screenshot_2016-12-05-16-35-05.png
    324.4 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_20161205_121501.jpg
    IMG_20161205_121501.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 266
I got it from the same person with same issues and yes the bolts are garbage. Did you figure out the solution because I really have the same problem.

Back