Engine Trouble Engine wont start? TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE

First off you will need a 12v power supply for a timing light that is capable of being set for a 2 stroke as many are not,then you need to mark the rotor, how are you using the degree wheel while the engine is running to check spark timing? with the rotor marked and engine running you can then use the timing light to see the spark timing and that's kinda hard to do when it doesn't start!

Not capable of a two stroke? Do you know how an induction timing light works?
They all use an inductive pick up,but very few are capable of reading a 2 stroke ignition check it out!Then as stated above you need a power source and the engine has to run to be able to use it,pretty simple stuff though it was suggested that the use of a degree wheel in this process would show the ignition timing and like I said how are you running the engine with the wheel in place then even if you managed to do so what is it going to show you? Nothing because it would still need to be marked and that requires knowing where to mark it LOL not good advise for a noob whom cant start the engine and most likely has none of this.

True, I'll shut up. The point is, he is wondering why a no start condition (possibly due to timing). If you have spark it will light a timing light. Granted, you do need a 6/12 v power source. Simple for some. Think about it.

Last edited:
When the piston is at TDC you mark it where convenient. Anywhere on the mag-coil loop metal (horse shoe). 0* on the degree wheel.

True, I'll shut up. The point is, he is wondering why a no start condition (possibly due to timing). If you have spark it will light a timing light. Granted, you do need a 6/12 v power source. Simple for some. Think about it.
How many people even you guy's have a 2 stroke timing light,not just any old $40 light from harbour freight or where ever because they won't work! I had an old one for many years with a selector switch between 2 and 4 cycle and advance/retard dial with 60 degree sweep that cost $80 back in the 80's and to replace it cost $239 and probably more now adays and not a cheap purchase for a noob or even us imo I'm sure you may find cheaper ones now from china or where ever but really what's it's going to tell you? I've marked the rotor and stater/wireloop frame in checking cdi's for base timing variant's and it requires the engine running to do so trust! These engines are timed at 20-25 degrees btdc and I've changed that to as low as 8 degrees they still run and upto 30+ they still run it's not from being miss timed!

All you need to do, can be done on either side, the little gear side or the magneto side is take a fine tip white paint marker and mark out zero to 25 degrees with one mark on the gear or the magnet. Use the cheapest timing light you have set at 0. Or use a fancy one just don't use any of the fancy stuff. Set to 0. Hook up a damned car battery to the power wires if you don't have an ac powered timing light, start the engine with the cover off, hook up the induction pickup to the plug wire, turn the lights down and see where the mark is when it flashes. Of course the timing is not easily adjustable and has a safe range of operation as long as your not turning 10k. I personally can't think if an instance where i would do it except just to make a video maybe. People have been checking timing of boat motors for a hundred years like this.

All you need to do, can be done on either side, the little gear side or the magneto side is take a fine tip white paint marker and mark out zero to 25 degrees with one mark on the gear or the magnet. Use the cheapest timing light you have set at 0. Or use a fancy one just don't use any of the fancy stuff. Set to 0. Hook up a damned car battery to the power wires if you don't have an ac powered timing light, start the engine with the cover off, hook up the induction pickup to the plug wire, turn the lights down and see where the mark is when it flashes. Of course the timing is not easily adjustable and has a safe range of operation as long as your not turning 10k. I personally can't think if an instance where i would do it except just to make a video maybe. People have been checking timing of boat motors for a hundred years like this.
It's obvious that none of you have done this! You can NOT use ether side only the mag side will show the timing if you mark it properly,and you cannot use just any light that's bs because a regular timing light's inductive pickup is for 40k v plus and the 2t setting does from 20k v the regular light has a hard time under 40k v .

Cause the small gear doesn't spin in direct relation to the crank? Why don't you think the other side would work? You are right though, i haven't put a light on a China girl yet. Looks like I'll have to make another pointless video...

Back