Engine wont start

postysteve

Local time
6:07 AM
Hi Guys, hope this is the right forum for my question ??

i've got a completely built 49cc 2 stroke bike my problem is like this :- i have only rode it a 2 or 3 times on my street and made some small adjustments to make it run and tick over better and was running good till i took apart one of the wire connectors on HT to stop engine instead of stalling it as it does not have a kill switch.

well now it wont start at all it seems like it's not firing or trying to fire ??

i have taken spark plug out and put it on a fin let clutch out and turned peddle to see if it will spark and it did,i have checked fuel and it's getting thro i undid screw on bottom of carb and gas comes out so fuel is getting thro to carb ok

cant understand this as it was ok before i took the wire apart thats all i did ??

i have gone thro the post by fastboy9 Engine wont start "TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE" and it still wont start.

i cant believe i'm having this trouble after just uncoupling a HT wire ?
the connections must be ok as the spark plug is sparking out of the engine?

it's got me puzzled ??

I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL OF ANY HELP

BEST REGARDS STEVE.

if it looks like a good strong spark, i'd look to the fuel system, even though you have gas in the bowl, it may not be making it into the cylinder. is there any gas on the plug, after trying to start it. if it's wet it could be flooding, or if it's dry your carb jet could be plugged. also check to see if the pin is sheared in the magneto shaft.

Hi Guys, Well i got it started,after doing nothing to the bike except uncoupling an HT wire i would have not thought :rolleyes: it would be the clutch cable that was causing the problem?

i had check everything yesterday,then all i've done today was move the brass barrel about 1/4" inch (sorry too old for this metric stuff) and hey presto she started up so i'm well please she's running again.:D

There's just one thing i'd like to ask is wen the engine start's up and you twist the throttle it tends to lose power instead of taking off ? do you think it might be that it needs more adjustment of the clutch or is this normal while running in I.E. lack of power?

i do know you get more power as it's running in but this does not seem right somehow or it might be just me ?

Regards Steve.

There's just one thing i'd like to ask is wen the engine start's up and you twist the throttle it tends to lose power instead of taking off ? do you think it might be that it needs more adjustment of the clutch or is this normal while running in I.E. lack of power?
Is the clutch slipping?
Does the engine rev up?

Your carb jet may be unscrewed
Take off the float bowl and check that the brass cylinder is
screwed in tightly

Good questions - does it rev OK with the clutch disengaged (pulled in)? If not suspect a fuel flow or more likely an air leak.

OR If it revs OK, it's just gutless from a start?

Hi yes it does rev up wen disengaged ? wot do u mean by "gutless from a start" ?? please explain ? thanks Steve.

Attachments

• 2 Stroke bike.JPG
    2 Stroke bike.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 254
Hi yes it does rev up wen disengaged ? wot do u mean by "gutless from a start" ?? please explain ? thanks Steve.

By gutless I mean lacks any power. You start pedalling, let the clutch out and twist the throttle and it does nothing? Does it bog....as in make a "boaoaoaoag" sound and nearly dies? OR does it want to go and the engine doesn't have the power you think it should.
Could just need to be broken in.
From a cold engine start, the motor has no power? (cold blooded beast)
Can you run it for a good while, ride it a good bit, then check the spark plug appearance?
I'm trying to see if you have an air leak (too little fuel) or if you are running too rich (too much fuel)

Last edited by a moderator:
does it want to go and the engine doesn't have the power you think it should. Could just need to be broken in.

Hi Thanks for your reply, in reply to your Quote above i'd say YES

So i'm asking you don't think the clutch needs more adjustment? just need to give it more time to break in YES ??

Regards Steve.

Hi Thanks for your reply, in reply to your Quote above i'd say YES

So i'm asking you don't think the clutch needs more adjustment? just need to give it more time to break in YES ??

Regards Steve.

Do you feel the clutch slip? (when starting for example)

Yes your engine probably needs some more break in time.

Back