Engine won't start

Rich

Local time
10:20 PM
what the **** is wrong!

i have had my motorized bike for 6 months. anyway it won't start now. i rewired the magneto (installed new wires) and still the thing won't start. additionally installed a new plug and still won't start. what else should i check. the CDI, that would make me feel better, knowing what is wrong.

thank you,

rich

Since you just re-wired it I would go straight for that first. I had an old snowblower and I re-wired the ignition and the darn thing still wouldnt start after also cleaning the carb. Turns out that I had the ignition wiring wrong, it was my personal mistake. Also, how long ago was it last running?

Rich, once again I must say that you are posting this engine problem in the WRONG forum. It should be either in the frame mount or rack mount forum. This is for plain old normal bicycles. No motors.

This might be a stupid question, but did you check for a spark? If you're not getting a spark with the new plug, you might have a bad CDI. They can quit, it's happened to a friend of mine. As a precaution, I keep a spare CDI for backup for both of my bikes. It's better to have it and not need it, than the other way around. Now, having said that, this thread does need to be moved to the proper forum, whether it be a rack or frame mounted engine.

Last edited:
I had a problem with my bike. It would run for days......no problem, then it would die and not start. Then it would start and stop and no spark again. Finally after much head scratching........I found the problem. When i installed the engine, there are spade connectors form the magneto to the cdi unit. After installing i wrapped these wires with electrical tape. These spade connectors became loose and as a result were touching intermitantly, giving power and then seperating. Well you get the idea!. I soldered the spade connectors never to seperate again. This solved my problem. I think a lot of bikes might suffer from this no spark problem.....I hope it helps someone out
Cheerz from the Great Southern land........Gary.

Hi!
Have you checked the start (sorry since i am portuguese my english is kind of "strange")
i had one problem similar time ago.

i only resoldered the tabs on the magneto using larger gauge wires. oh and i removed the covering on the "wire wad". using the ohmmeter it registered at 15 Megaohms. way over the limit. could i have damaged the wires?

how is a magneto put on backward and how would i know and why would it make any difference?

sorry i am new at this

Last edited by a moderator:
Back