Engine won't stay running

Its not the valves.:rolleyes: The straight pipe is making it run lean, richen the idle mixture.

"A bit of an update.

I cannot get it to reliably idle below 2kRPM"

"The idle mixture screw was all the way in by the factory. But it doesn't run at all there anymore unless the engine is cold and at full choke."

That's the problem right there,. Idle speed for the GXH50 and clones is 2500 rpm. Adjust the idle mixture and speed.

Thanks for the suggestion, but that's something I messed with a lot already. It acts the same no matter where I have the screw adjusted to.
I decided I'm buying a new carb for it before I move on to trying other things.

There's nothing wrong with the idle mixture screw or hole there. It just doesn't seem to do anything right now.

The new carb sounds like a good way to go because if the idle mix. screw is doing nothing it was probably ran to tight at the fact, and the jet is damaged. It should have some noticeable effect.

Hey guys,

Just recently I was having similar issues as you are. The engine would turn on, but if I engaged the clutch to idle it would die. There was also no power being produced, and you had to pedal really hard to keep the engine running. After thorough inspection and cleaning of the carb and exhaust, I realized there had been water damage to my magneto. I replaced the magneto and it worked like a charm. The power was immediately back and the engine would idle well. If you are having idle problems, I'd consider the magneto as an option to help your issue, weird stuff happens with electrical problems. Check for even the slightest corrosion. Good luck.

I have a dax 4 stroke kit that wouldn't idle, I removed the idle screw and carefully pulled out the plug on the pilot jet and got a strand of wire off a cable and cleaned out the end of the plug put back together and it runs perfect. During my search for info on the carb problems I came across some info on changing intake manifold to accept 2 stroke carb and I happen to have a NT carb laying around so I bought one, it's supposed to give you a bit more power and less headaches. We'll see

Back