Engine won't turn over when pedaling

CHVYPWR

Local time
5:06 AM
I've got a new unfired engine that I just installed. I can turn it over by hand with the plug out. When I pedal trying to start, I get friction and resistance but the engine wont turn over. I get maybe two rotations of the engine within 60 ft of pedaling. This is with the clutch cable completely undone (ruled out cable mis-adjustment). Do I have a bad clutch right out of the box? Is there a trick to getting the engine to turn over?

It sounds like your clutch is slipping.
It could be:
1. There is oil or grease on the clutch friction pads, outer or inner clutch pressure plate.
2. The friction pads need light trimming to fit properly in their pockets.
3. Either the flower nut needs adjusting or the internal clutch spring needs adjusting.
4. The pinion gear, clutch hub, or the chain sprocket is slipping on it's shaft due to the woodruff key being sheared or completely missing.
With a brand new engine any of the above are possible.

Last edited:
put all of your body weight over the rear wheel when you let the clutch out, while sitting on the seat. if you have a 10 speed style seat, sit as far back as you can with your weight over the rear tire.
I had the same problem on one of my bikes, and as soon as a sat as far back as possible, it fired right up.

I have the same problem with dual start engine I bought off of ebay...Take the clutch cover off on right side of engine (as you sit on the bike)....there is a weird looking nut in the center of the clutch....remove the small screw so you can take a screwdriver and hammer and tighten the flower nut .....be sure to replace the small screw ::....thats the only way I could get mine to start...however, it will burn the clutch pads if you get the nut too tight.....

NOOOOOOO!!!!!
WAIT!!!!
You never ever need to use a hammer and or anything else to hit that flower nut to adjust it.
1. Remove the lock screw
2. Squeeze in the clutch hand lever until it rests against the hand grip and hold it there with tape or a piece of wire.
3. Push in on the outer clutch plate with one hand and with the other hand turn the flower nut with your fingertips.

I typically set the flower nut by turning it all the way in snug, not tight.
Then turn it back out 1 1/2 turns aligning one of the notches with the hole for the lock screw. Install the lock screw snug but don't tighten it yet......

4. Remove the tape or wire from the clutch hand lever and let the clutch handle release all the way out.
Now tighten the lock screw and the clutch should be happy.

5. Readjust the clutch cable if necessary to leave only a little bit of slack in the cable when the clutch lever is all the way out.

Last edited:
Yank out that Chinese engine and install a 350/350/9".:unsure:

Sorry, with a handle like yours, I just HAD to say that. lol:giggle:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!
WAIT!!!!
You never ever need to use a hammer and or anything else to hit that flower nut to adjust it.
1. Remove the lock screw
2. Squeeze in the clutch hand lever until it rests against the hand grip and hold it there with tape or a piece of wire.
3. Push in on the outer clutch plate with one hand and with the other hand turn the flower nut with your fingertips.

I typically set the flower nut by turning it all the way in snug, not tight.
Then turn it back out 1 1/2 turns aligning one of the notches with the hole for the lock screw. Install the lock screw snug but don't tighten it yet......

4. Remove the tape or wire from the clutch hand lever and let the clutch handle release all the way out.
Now tighten the lock screw and the clutch should be happy.

5. Readjust the clutch cable if necessary to leave only a little bit of slack in the cable when the clutch lever is all the way out.

Thanks! Thats good info, I'll give it a check.:cool: Sucks though, right out of the box I expect stuff to work properly.:mad:

Back