entertaining a mod?

SilverHeels

Local time
9:50 AM
Hi Guys,
Currently I have a number a couple of Allstate Mopeds (2 speed) and a couple of Campus 50s (3 speeds). How interesting it would be to adapt a EZM system to one of these? They already have all of the good safety stuff H/D wheels, brakes etc.

Attachments

• PUCH Campus 50 (MS50).jpg
    PUCH Campus 50 (MS50).jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Allstate Moped 1962.jpg
    Allstate Moped 1962.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 180
  • Allstate VS50L frame 2.jpg
    Allstate VS50L frame 2.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Allstate VS50L frame.jpg
    Allstate VS50L frame.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 190
Yup, you'd already be HD, AND you'd have no problem registering/licensing.Remember you'll end up with a moped not an MAB (not that big a difference) and you'll probably have to register and such.You've got some good foundations there.

Yup, you'd already be HD, AND you'd have no problem registering/licensing.Remember you'll end up with a moped not an MAB (not that big a difference) and you'll probably have to register and such.You've got some good foundations there.

HI,

Thanks for the comment. As it has pedals, would it not be a HD motorized bike? Also, aren't the EZMs automatic, that is , centrifugal clutch?
BTW, being new, I don't know what "MAB" stands for? Is it "M"otorized "A"utomatic "B"ike?
These days, I learn something new every time I ask.
I'm vulnerable and corruptible LOL!

Legal-wise, it depends on your state.A moped usually needs registering (has VIN), which can be a good or bad thing depending on your view.MAB stands for motor-assisted-bike, the main point being "its a bike first, a moped is motorized first".There is an archived post where a member won a court case saying an MAB was different than a moped (he got a ticket for driving a moped without license/reg) and he could prove it.
At his court appearance he had the judge get a moped and his bike, put them in front of the courthouse, then said tell the bailiff to ride 10 circuits around the building on my MAB pedal power alone, then see if he can do 5 circuits on the moped pedal power alone in the same time.The size of the bailiff made him question whether he could complete one on the moped.Case closed.
Moped pedals are for starting and standing, not cadence.If your engine goes on an MAB, you can easily pedal 10 miles without it, moped engine dead is like motorcycle engine dead, you're walking.

Thanks for the great comments. Maryland is an easy state to register a "Moped". I'll insure it for it's vintage value, which is only a couple bucks a year through Hagerty.
It doesn't matter either way for me, as I was looking at both the challenge of the mod and the auto aspect.
First I'll have to get a kit and see what mods I'll need to make to adapt the engine.
Are you in a position to get me a measurement center to center of the drive sprocket to the wheel sprocket?
Thanks again.

Back