ETEK Electric Motors

That was one of the first motors I looked at in 2006 before I started building ebikes. The $525 price steered me away. However, you do seem to get what you pay for somewhat in that the cheap Unite motors have serious design problems.

The RC motor solution looks good... it's going to take a little circuit design work to get everything working the way I want it to, but the selection of motors and the different winds they offer means you can get that custom fit that is so important.

The rewinding process showed me what I want... now I just need to find the best way to connect the dots. (least expensive)

If ebikes are ever going to catch on then there needs to be some good power options at a good price. As it stands there is no direct path to getting the performance without either an excessive $$$ or a lot or custom work. (hopefully that will change one day)

-----------------------------

At some point I also have realized that I'm too old to physically do this work very well. My fingers on my preferred hand have been numb for a few days now and I've woken up in the middle of the night feeling them being so numb that there was probably no circulation going on. (so the constant swelling means they don't get the blood flow to repair very well at night) I just can't do the work as well as when I was young. :sick:

Despite the pain... I spent the entire day sanding and fiberglassing... so the obsession seems to continue as long as I'm able to.

Winter is nice because my body gets to heal itself.

Summer means constant actvity and not many breaks.

Last edited:
Back