EVIL -really??

This is the article that spurred me to comment on this forum:

http://ecomodder.com/blog/motorcycles-scooters-great-environment-wrong/

"In fact, it was the EPA that tested a Yamaha YZR R6 and found that it emitted 90 times more hydrocarbons than a Dodge Durango SUV. Hydrocarbons are the pollutants responsible for forming ozone and smog, which is both a serious health risk as well as an extreme eyesore."

Now, a small 2 stroke will use less fuel than a YZR R6 no doubt, but they are even less regulated and it is a known fact that 2 strokes are very dirty. I take it, from this forum, that that is still up for debate?

Have you ever breathed in your own exhuast, or had a landscaper running his weed wacker or leaf blower near you? You can't even breath!

I owned a Yamaha Zuma 2 stroke scooter a few years ago, and was embarrassed at how much blue smoke came out of it when I took off from a stoplight. Yeah it got 65mpg at 35mph, but it was dirty as heck.

I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking anyone here. Next time I'll come up with more facts to back myself up. But I thought it was no question that 2 strokes polluted more heavily than autos..

Nobody is interested in an article blog from ecomodder.com... Im not a chemist but I don't think ozone is a byproduct of combustion. Would you kindly explain to us in terms of shear mass how a motorcycle that uses less fuel can emit more gasses out of its exhaust pipe???

And yes... we have all smelled landscaping/gardening fumes. Have you ever been next to a lifted f350 diesel with an exhaust and power programmer while your window is down in your lowered honda??? If you want to make the argument that one of those puts out 90x more emissions than a dodge durango... that would be different.

right now, you sound like an environmental hack. Not even very well versed at that.... please stop with the whole "we are killing the eco-system so we have to walk and ride bikes with e-motors on them" thing. Ive heard it my whole life and its old news.

Did you read the article?

Motorcycles don't have catalytic converters, so much of the pollution is put into the air, instead of caught and contained as with automobiles.

And yes, I dearly hate large diesels.

The main problem I have with ALL ICE is that they directly pollute the air I breath when I'm cycling. How about you turn that tailpipe into your face? That's exactly what you (and everyone who drives an ICE whether it be a MB or car or large truck) does when you pass me or cross my path of travel (and even when you're idleing behind me at a stoplight).

Just because it's legal doesn't make it okay.

Last edited:
if i put 20 oz of gas and .5 oz of oil in my gas tank and run it close to thirty miles and a durango puts 2 gal of gas in to go the same distance,how can it be worse for the environment?even if it does burn cleaner and run it thru a catalytic converter?
just asking please explain.

ps....probably wouldnt have to drill so deep to supply our two strokes.

as far as electrics go,who the heck has time to wait on it to charge.

and as far a you having to breath exhaust,every one cant peddle every where like you.
then you would just complain about my cigarette smoke as you come from behind to pass me!:)

I'm not the one driving these ICE's. I'd suggest you check with the EPA, since it was their study that said so.

I'm sure some here will say the EPA is still full of it though.

Yes, there is a plus to small ICE engines, we wouldn't need nearly as much oil. I'm not arguing that.

Last edited:
Did you read the article?

Motorcycles don't have catalytic converters, so much of the pollution is put into the air, instead of caught and contained as with automobiles.
motorcycles and diesels dont have catalytic converters?
please post the link with them facts!

as far as electrics go,who the heck has time to wait on it to charge.

and as far a you having to breath exhaust,every one cant peddle every where like you.
then you would just complain about my cigarette smoke as you come from behind to pass me!:)

In most cases, people have plenty of time to charge their batteries. I can go 7 miles with an hour of charging time.(I could easily add another 1-4 charges without damaging my batteries). How many of you need to make multiple back to back trips of over 20 miles each trip each day?

Most people drive 1-20 miles each morning to work. Then repeat the same in the evening. Electrics can easily handle that.

I support ebikes for commuting, I'm not crazy about pedaling to commute, it's not practical for >1 mile or hills, or impaired people.

And yes, I truly have a disgust for cig smokers who also directly poison my air. Where do you get off thinking you have the right to poison someone's air? It's ridiculous. Take an ethics class.

I'm not saying ebikes are 100% right or clean or whatever. But they are very likely significantly the "lesser evil" that one can choose for transportation.

I emailed Bosch to see if they had any figures on how much the environment is impacted by my 20,000 mile life, 8lb Lithium cells (which are nowhere as toxic as NiCads).

motorcycles and diesels dont have catalytic converters?
please post the link with them facts!

You have a catalytic converter on your MB?

My bad.... if new motorcycles do have them. I was just referencing the article.

they don't catch or contain the exhaust,the cats contain catalyst materials that when hot reignite unburnt gases.

my description isn't perfect.but thats the basics.

Back