Evolution of me in Motorized Bicycles

This is the first and worst build I did. Mainly because it was made it China.
L4k8GT2.jpg

This is the second build I did. It is a Staton Gearbox connected to Sick Bike Parts Freewheel Cranks
hxGoZUv.jpg

This is my third build. It is a Thats Dax Friction Drive connected to a Harbor Freight 52cc Waterpump Engine.
yhgWuHV.jpg

This is my Fourth Build. It is a DIY Scooterguy mount with a Honda GX35 engine.
dtPLdd8.jpg

This is my fifth build. It is a GEBE kit with 105G wheel and a Tanaka PF4000
nJwtorw.jpg

I got out of motorized bicycles and then got a Honda Ruckus
RtJgFwp.jpg

I couldn't keep up with traffic with the Honda Ruckus so I got a Yamaha Zuma 125 which I still have
aZfUptJ.jpg

Now I don't feel as safe on the Yamaha Zuma 125 as I did when I was on a motorized bicycle on the sidewalks. So I'm building my dream bike. An Electra Townie 21D with a GEBE kit velocity 105g wheel and a Robin Subaru EH035 engine. Hope you can learn from my experiences.

Nice post!

Based on your experience, what is the benefit of having the engine mounted over the back wheel instead of in the frame?

No benefit at all. The second build I did was my favorite, but it had a gearbox malfunction.

A 66cc engine with a dirt bike pipe should yield ~3hp

Get your cheap ass to buy a a decent $500-1k bike & you should have no trouble keeping up with traffic

A 66cc engine is made in china and is inferior to a japanese engine. I own a Yamaha Zuma 125 and I keep up with traffic just fine. I like the sidewalks better at a slow speed. I feel safer there than on the road with cars.

I always wondered how difficult it is to get the weight of the engine balanced when it's on the back. How is it riding with more weight on one side of the bike than the other? Does it affect your turns or do you not really notice it?

I don't notice any balance issues. It is only about 10lbs on the rear wheel with the GEBE system. I'm more concerned with reliability than asthetics. I will admit when I came to this forum I liked the 66/80 cc china kits better because they looked cooler than a weedwacker engine poised over the rear wheel. But after pulling my hair out with chineese junk, I much perfer the reliablity of a japeneese engine.

I don't notice any balance issues. It is only about 10lbs on the rear wheel with the GEBE system. I'm more concerned with reliability than asthetics. I will admit when I came to this forum I liked the 66/80 cc china kits better because they looked cooler than a weedwacker engine poised over the rear wheel. But after pulling my hair out with chineese junk, I much perfer the reliablity of a japeneese engine.
Ha! That's understandable.

Nice, fun post.
I will look forward to (Evolution of you on electric bikes) in approx. a year or two.

Back