Exhaust Exhaust cap fell off- harmful to engine?

sapientpearw00d

Local time
4:36 AM
My Exhaust cap fell off and I rode the rest of the way to my destination with my new hearing-damage machine. Can I run the bike in the meantime while I look for a new exhaust cap? (or whatever it's called? silencer? It sat on the end of my exhaust and seated onto a threaded bolt. Please tell me what the correct term is.)

The tip of the muffler... The baffle on the resonator also... And it won't hurt anything to run it without it... Makes it run lean with more flow so if you notice it getting hot go up a size in the jet...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220323-142822.png
    Screenshot_20220323-142822.png
    180.5 KB · Views: 129
I was replying to your new thread, (Moderator deleted it because this thread was on the same subject), before I could post my reply about making a new cap, etc.

I was going to say:
I had a SuperTrap exhaust on a Suzuki that used fluted baffle plates. You could add or remove plates to tune the exhaust. You could cut metal disks and perforate them. Stack a few with spacers (washers) in-between. Also, blue Loctite keeps nuts and bolts from rattling loose.

Stock exhaust pipes are pretty cheap. You could just get a new one. A lot of riders swear that removing the end of the exhaust boosts power (and dBs). ;-)

You can make a cap to save your hearing till a new exhaust gets in, any cap/can that will fit into or over the muffler body will work. Drill a 3/8 hole below the center for the exhaust gas to escape. A Friend had to make one a few years back when he lost his on the way to work, it may not be pretty but will work till you can get parts.

Real simple here. If it is a standard run of the mill exhaust pipe, just replace it along with the gasket, but use the much better gasket Im providing a link to below...End of problem.

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back