Exhaust Flange Tricks

YetiWoodz

Local time
6:02 PM
I found some tricks and products that make building a china girl exhaust flange and header easier. I have 2 expansion pipes I built with these and they both work great.

Screenshot_20210815-115112_Gallery.jpg 20210815_121356.jpg
20210815_121801.jpg 20210815_121239.jpg

This washer has the perfect dimensions for our exhaust ports.

Using a washer, the center hole is already there, just drill the two bolt holes out.

You'll probably need to cut down the washer so the outer part doesn't hit the cylinder head or fins.

I used an angle grinder, cut diagonally 4 times and then shaped the rest with a grinding wheel & flap disk. I traced the shape of the exhaust port first and marked it on the washer.

This butt weld elbow ts the biggest ID you can get while still being able to thread the nuts on the studs next to it. It also matches the washer flanges ID well. Only downside is its very thin, so welding it is a little tricky but with the right settings and patience, you'll get it. I had to do a bit of grinding and make quite a few beads to get it good and sealed.

- 3/4" emt conduit works great for straight pieces.

- 3/4" cast iron fittings at Home Depot work ok too for bends but not to the flange (too wide). I grinded the threads out with a dremel tool with carbide single cut bits and then the true ID is 1 1/8". Perfect for my kx65 pipe. Brazing these are better than welding. They can be welded strong, but I found I couldn't get the beads to seal perfectly. I keep getting tiny oil leaks in some places from under the weld, so I fixed it by putting exhaust wrap on.

Attachments

• 20210815_121303.jpg
    20210815_121303.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 238
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Just a little tip for when you are welding, spray the part where you are not welding with a little hair spray( heavier the hold, better it works, layer it works even better. spray, let dry, lightly spray again, etc. not to thick though), or welders non stick ( talc and a binder in a propellant can). I weld for part of my living. I'm not the best welder, and I usually don't care what my personal welds look like as long as they hold, but at work I try to make my stuff look good. Just a tip if you care what the piece looks like when you are done. I only said that because I can see you were FCAW on your part. I use one at home too. So nasty with all the splatter. Way prefer the GTAW and GMAW at work. Alas all I really need at home is a FCAW. MIght some day get a GMAW, but I don't do enough aluminum to justify it, yet.

Just a little tip for when you are welding, spray the part where you are not welding with a little hair spray( heavier the hold, better it works, layer it works even better. spray, let dry, lightly spray again, etc. not to thick though), or welders non stick ( talc and a binder in a propellant can). I weld for part of my living. I'm not the best welder, and I usually don't care what my personal welds look like as long as they hold, but at work I try to make my stuff look good. Just a tip if you care what the piece looks like when you are done. I only said that because I can see you were FCAW on your part. I use one at home too. So nasty with all the splatter. Way prefer the GTAW and GMAW at work. Alas all I really need at home is a FCAW. MIght some day get a GMAW, but I don't do enough aluminum to justify it, yet.
My little welder does it all, but I just do solid wire.

My little welder does it all, but I just do solid wire.
I looked at a few of those. Just not for me. I need more from one if im paying that much. Nice machines, but if im doing up some AL, its going to be blazing perfect. Even with a discount, stainless and aluminum are expensive right now!!!! I collect as much scrap from work as they let me. 😆

I looked at a few of those. Just not for me. I need more from one if im paying that much. Nice machines, but if im doing up some AL, its going to be blazing perfect. Even with a discount, stainless and aluminum are expensive right now!!!! I collect as much scrap from work as they let me. 😆
My little welder was dirt cheap, under 300 Canadian.

... It works...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220225-213638.png
    Screenshot_20220225-213638.png
    319 KB · Views: 160
My little welder was dirt cheap, under 300 Canadian.
Yeah but I bet it won't weld like my tig. lol. I have a flux core, stick, and a tig. Tig will leave a machine perfect looking weld. You can always tell a flux job, stick or wire. lol. Great for at home, but I'm wanting to start making everything look professionally made, because I seriously am a professional metal worker/machinist. I need to get gas and electrodes for my tig, ugh, so I use my wire at the moment. lol.

Back