Exhaust mod = performance boost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did the exhaust mod the beginning of the spring, and sorry I did. Louder, not much improvement at all. I just emailed Grubee for a price on a poo-poo pipe. I think I'll go back to un-noticed.

Maybe on mine it was so clogged that just opening it up made a world of difference. It starting losing power there for a while...
I just soaked my muffler in hot water overnight...didn't really do much..then I scraped away.
That antifreeze trick sounds pretty cool...maybe it would work without the heat,just soaking for a few days.
When I removed my cap,I needed large channel lock pliers to even twist it and even after twisting it it still wouldn't go. I resorted to using a dent puller and rigged it inside the exhaust hole combined with twisting...it was work.
I love how the Maxima protects my engine,although maybe I need to run just synthetic every now and then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the exhaust mod the beginning of the spring, and sorry I did. Louder, not much improvement at all. I just emailed Grubee for a price on a poo-poo pipe. I think I'll go back to un-noticed.
If you still have your tube you cut off just stick it back in there and cap it off.
It wouldn't be as quiet but I would think it would be quieter than it is now.
And it's free.
Maybe even duct tape the tube together.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also did this mod to a slightly lesser extent. I drilled two 3/8" holes at the bottom of the tube (closest to the exhaust tip). I didn't notice much improvement intially but I pulled over and switched the clip on the needle to a richer setting and like magic I had more power. Great trick. Now I have another unrelated problem with vibration but I'll post that in a more appropriate location.

We used hobby shop hair drills to re jet formula V volks race cars from the beginning being that we had to use all original parts. Be sure to use drill in index that is next up from the perfect fit . Assuming that you have a small set of hair drills in sequence of tiny measurement only need to be able to hold jet in fingers and drill bit in fingers with the lightest finger pressure required to remove tiny amount metal bore chase can not even barely see the waste material.Any more and you will need to replace the original jet and start over.

I took the baffle out to look at it before it got to the bike, and found one of the holes in the baffle not drilled completely through. So I started adding holes right away. (Before I found all you lovely people, and this wealth of information.) So I have no reference to power increase or how loud it may have been without the extra holes.
Shortly thereafter I made a pipe (out of steel electrical conduit) and muffler (total fabrication Packed with ceramic wool). I switched back and forth between the two (stock and custom) to see if there was a difference and could detect none. Except for the sound, which has a nice deep note with the custom. I figured that the longer tube would have more back pressure so I used one inch conduit, which is a little larger than the original pipe.
The motor seemed to cut out at top speed (around 30mph). Top speed also fluctuated between 27mph and 30mph.
After reading about the needle positions in the carburetor I moved the clip up and down with many test runs and found it the most stable in the top most position. ( with the needle the lowest.) Now I can get 31.5mph (with no head wind). Less gas, more speed, seems odd to me, but thats how it played out. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Attachments

• DSC06057.jpg
    DSC06057.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 711
WARNING! dont start grinding your baffle in half, or off completely! here's my story....

bored with my bike's performance, i drilled 6 3/16" holes through the first circular piece of metal on the baffle (furthest from the exhaust tip). this worked quite well, with a noticable increase, with minimal decible increase. however, being careless/lazy, i didnt fully screw the baffle in. so, during the test run, the baffle shot out at full speed.

when i recovered it, the baffle was completely bent at the kink in th emiddle. upon straightening, it just snapped off. so, waste not want not, i jsut undid the kink in the bottom half of the baffle and reinstalled it. the results? LOUDNESS. my bike is so incredibly loud that i cant ride it anymore. the one time i DID ride it, i hardly noticed anymore performance improvement. just a 50% (at least) increase in noise pollution.

so, if any of you out there feel the need to modify your stock exhausts, jsut drill a few holes. and i say, ONLY a few. dont start hacking and grinding unless you are prepared to wear earpulgs and get cursed at from every passer by.

I took the baffle out to look at it before it got to the bike, and found one of the holes in the baffle not drilled completely through. So I started adding holes right away. (Before I found all you lovely people, and this wealth of information.) So I have no reference to power increase or how loud it may have been without the extra holes.
Shortly thereafter I made a pipe (out of steel electrical conduit) and muffler (total fabrication Packed with ceramic wool). I switched back and forth between the two (stock and custom) to see if there was a difference and could detect none. Except for the sound, which has a nice deep note with the custom. I figured that the longer tube would have more back pressure so I used one inch conduit, which is a little larger than the original pipe.
The motor seemed to cut out at top speed (around 30mph). Top speed also fluctuated between 27mph and 30mph.
After reading about the needle positions in the carburetor I moved the clip up and down with many test runs and found it the most stable in the top most position. ( with the needle the lowest.) Now I can get 31.5mph (with no head wind). Less gas, more speed, seems odd to me, but thats how it played out. I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

I like that exhaust, is it much louder like that?

It finally got warm enough(above 35) to have a nicer ride here today. Still wasn't getting very good top end so I did the exhaust baffle cut off mod. WOW! I got better performance all around, better power, about a 5 mph boost, and less bogging at wide open. It did bog a little but then pushed through it and actually started to pick up more speed. Didn't really notice it being much louder, just a bit deeper at lower speeds. Reading thru this site has really been helpful. Thanks to everyone. I'll definitly be doing some more modifications to my bike in the future. e.g. sprocket, plug/wire, better oil/gas, etc... Anyone know where I can get a gas cap that doesn't seep or are they all pretty much the same? Mine came with the 70cc kit I got from dacscommm.

where is the baffle mod guide on this forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back