Exhaust/Muffler mounting issues

Joast

Local time
5:40 AM
I just finished installing a new muffler/ exhaust on my Schwinn Cruiser. My original had a possibly bent flange and was also having some
left side pedal clearance issues.
The muffler is some sort of expansion type muffler that cost just slightly more than a stock replacement and it had mostly good reviews. See pic 1.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Kinbelle-Exhaust-Muffler-Stroke-Engine/dp/B07RR6Z7D8?th=1
Two issues came up during installation.
1) I had to turn the carb slightly to the left on the manifold to let
the fuel inlet have some clearance away from the tail pipe see pic #2. So instead of being straight up and down on the manifold,
the carb is turned slightly to about 11 O'clock. It is still pushed all the way in on the manifold. Will this likely cause any problems?
2) I now have a slight pedal clearance issue on the Right side. The pedal contacts the muffler/pipe but can be still pushed past the muffler. see Pic 3. Does this look like something that can just be filed down or hit with a grinder--or do I should I get some extra clearance pedals (I would like to avoid that if possible).
Thanks for any input anyone can provide on this. John

Attachments

• thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 142
  • carb turned on manifold.jpg
    carb turned on manifold.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 143
  • Pedalmuffler.jpg
    Pedalmuffler.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 137
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I just finished installing a new muffler/ exhaust on my Schwinn Cruiser. My original had a possibly bent flange and was also having some
left side pedal clearance issues.
The muffler is some sort of expansion type muffler that cost just slightly more than a stock replacement and it had mostly good reviews. See pic 1.
Link: https://www.amazon.com/Kinbelle-Exhaust-Muffler-Stroke-Engine/dp/B07RR6Z7D8?th=1
Two issues came up during installation.
1) I had to turn the carb slightly to the left on the manifold to let
the fuel inlet have some clearance away from the tail pipe see pic #2. So instead of being straight up and down on the manifold,
the carb is turned slightly to about 11 O'clock. It is still pushed all the way in on the manifold. Will this likely cause any problems?
2) I now have a slight pedal clearance issue on the Right side. The pedal contacts the muffler/pipe but can be still pushed past the muffler. see Pic 3. Does this look like something that can just be filed down or hit with a grinder--or do I should I get some extra clearance pedals (I would like to avoid that if possible).
Thanks for any input anyone can provide on this. John

Your best option is probably just to bend the pipe out of the way, Heat it and bend it

Or the (crank) sprocket can be shimmed over by putting a washer or two under the Bearing Cone Nut that holds on the sprocket

Or you can heat and bend the crank arm out a little , Make sure the pedal ends up @ 90* again

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Issues like that is what made me pick the f2 thrust pipe for my 1st build on a Cranbrook. But I wish I had got mx65?

Thanks for the help. I may have to look into the shim option. I have no means to heat up either the pipe or crank arm.
If I could get another 1/4 inch or so of clearance, I think it would fine. It is contacting the welded connection between the pipe and chamber
John

Before you grind it off, try loosening the bolts at the cylinder and move the pipe a little to the left. If that doesn't work, just grind off a bit of the pedal arm.

Did you get the silencer with that pipe? They're rude and obnoxious without it.

Thanks for all the replies. Will pull it off and try to give it some tweaks. There is no play anywhere to adjust it just from the mountings--
it feels way more solid than I expected. I do like that the top pipe doesn't stick out far too far from the bike. No separate muffler came with this,
but if it is too obnoxiously loud, I may have to look at that if it performs ok. I thought the original muffler was obnoxious:).
Thanks. John

I think the motor is mounted to low on the frame. Why because the engine looks like its resting on chain guard. That would make the pedal clear if raised. It's hard to tell in picture for sure but it looks tilted a bit towards the right too. Be safe and you'll get it, don't give up.

I think the motor is mounted to low on the frame. Why because the engine looks like its resting on chain guard. That would make the pedal clear if raised. It's hard to tell in picture for sure but it looks tilted a bit towards the right too. Be safe and you'll get it, don't give up.
I think that is just the picture angle. The engine does not contact the bicycle chainguard that I can recall. I bought this bike secondhand and did not build it. The engine IS mounted down low as the lower tube is curved. As far as I can see, the engine chain allignment on the other side is real good. I am going to start building my own bike shortly and bought this Shwinn just to try to see how these are set up and operate. The pedals do seem to taper inward toward the front on this bike. Moving the engine on this bike would be a last resort for me lol. Thanks John

Don't try to bend the pipe on your bike, it could crack the cylinder.

If you elongate the holes in the mounting flange just a tiny bit, that will be enough to get to clear your pedal. Use a round file and file the bottom of the left side and the top right side.

How's the left side pedal clearance? Can the pipe even go to the left any and still have it clear the pedal on that side?

Back