Expansion chamber - muffler modification

Arty

Local time
8:52 AM
I recently grafted a lawn mower type muffler to the end of my "Fat Cat" expansion chamber to quiet it down a bit. I also added a Phantom Bikes exhaust tip to the end of the muffler. It required cutting off the end tip of the expansion chamber, then welding in one half of a 1/2inch black iron pipe coupling, ground down to size. I grafted on a section of inch and a half exhaust tubing onto the end of the muffler, so that the Phantom Bikes exhaust tip could then be inserted into the end of the muffler.
The pictures should be self explanatory.

Attachments

• Muffler1.jpg
    Muffler1.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 389
  • Muffler2.jpg
    Muffler2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Muffler3.jpg
    Muffler3.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Muffler4.jpg
    Muffler4.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 401
  • Muffler5.jpg
    Muffler5.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 352
  • Muffler6.jpg
    Muffler6.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 411
  • Muffler7.jpg
    Muffler7.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 444
  • Muffler8.jpg
    Muffler8.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 458
Mogogear:
I haven't had a chance to ride it much since the mod., but on the short ride I did get in, I didn't really notice much change in performance, but the bike is a little quieter, and a bit more mellow sounding - not quite as "raspy" if that makes any sense.
While I like the sound of a good running 2-stroke, for my bike I don't want it to be an annoyance for people around me - I don't need the extra attention it brings. I just want to have fun riding it.

I don't see any strapping or brackets to support your very cool muffler. That is asking a lot of those 2 exhaust studs.

Back