Expansion chamber

Actually what I want to build is a motorized rail bike, that a guy could put on the railroad tracks & fly by iron rail. Think it be a blast!!! Damn I'm always getting everybody off subject. Sorry guys.

Actually what I want to build is a motorized rail bike, that a guy could put on the railroad tracks & fly by iron rail. Think it be a blast!!! Damn I'm always getting everybody off subject. Sorry guys.
If you want a real blast Diesel, you just might like this then...lol...207 MPH in 4.8 seconds...DAMIEN

When they talk about supercharging the cylinder with the expansion chamber, are they talking about when the exhaust pulse/air fuel mix bounces off the rear of the expansion chamber& reverts back to cylinder to fill the cylinder? Are they saying you need that action to happen b4 the port is covered on the down stroke? Or are they saying you want that exhaust pulse/fuel mix to enter the cylinder b4 the port closes on the up stroke?

When they talk about supercharging the cylinder with the expansion chamber, are they talking about when the exhaust pulse/air fuel mix bounces off the rear of the expansion chamber& reverts back to cylinder to fill the cylinder? Are they saying you need that action to happen b4 the port is covered on the down stroke? Or are they saying you want that exhaust pulse/fuel mix to enter the cylinder b4 the port closes on the up stroke?
You are going to get a little of both, in and bounce. Only at one freq will you get a perfect suck and push into the chamber. The rest builds up to that perfect rpm ( peak power) or takes away from it.

You are going to get a little of both, in and bounce. Only at one freq will you get a perfect suck and push into the chamber. The rest builds up to that perfect rpm ( peak power) or takes away from it.
So how does a guy tune for this? Is this where your header length & chamber design come into play? Which in turn dictates the rpm & powerband of the engine & pipe. Or does port timing play a big factor in this as well?

When the exhaust enters the pipe it picks up speed from the diffuser cone, it draws some of the new charge in with it but is reflected back.

So how does a guy tune for this? Is this where your header length & chamber design come into play? Which in turn dictates the rpm & powerband of the engine & pipe. Or does port timing play a big factor in this as well?
A big fat header is going to let too much of the return pulse to enter the cylinder, this in turn reduces the volume of the new charge and will reduce power.

A big fat header is going to let too much of the return pulse to enter the cylinder, this in turn reduces the volume of the new charge and will reduce power.
I know header length & size play into it. Longer header more torque. Shorter header equals more rpm. I think this is somewhat right.

Back