Expectations are getting out of hand

In Australia you could definitely register a ghetto bike/motoped/gas bike/ petrol bicycle, but to my knowledge only a handful have.

In Queensland you only need a drivers license to ride a 50cc motorcycle/moped/trike/whatever, but it must be registered. That would be the state to try and register one, and then move to another state and transfer the rego through a rural Vicroads, like a nice and remote one after having done the Roadworthy trhough a helpful mechanic.

In Victoria-
If you took your gas bike to a roadworthy inspector (any mechanic with the vicroads RWC certification) and it could pass, you can take the Roadworthy Certificate (RWC) to the Vic roads (DMV, DLVA) and register it for whatever the charge is and for first time registrations it must be inspected by the Vic Roads offical (over the pits)
And then they issue you your plate (you only get 1 for motorcycle in Victoria, you used to get 2!)

And then, you are coverd by TAC, if you have a crash and you have a record of the vehicle for insurance asset tests, and all the rest. You can legally ride it on the road!

We have historic or club reg (red plates) but thats another thing...

Thats a whole process in itself here, but there's always more!
All you need to pass road worthy (i used to be a RWC inspector at a few different service joints i worked at) is as follows (for a motorbike)

No oil leaks (an oil catch tin is ok for older vehicles, but must not leak while travelling)
Indicators must be 150mm minimum distance from the centre of the headlight and taillight,

Brake lights, indicators, hazard lights, dim and high beam must all function. So, it needs a headlight with a compliant low beam, and the highbeam has limitations... indicators must be amber in color and flash no more than about 2 times a second, 120bpm is perfect, you would get away with 130, but find a picky inspector and its a "no!"

Exhaust must not be louder than 94 decibels at 1 metre 45° from the exhaust pipe. Not WOT but at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle, or whatever your cruising speed would be.

Brakes must be in working order and a brake test certificate must show a minimum G reading at stopping from 10 metres.

Tyres must have enough tread to disperse water and be offset cut to prevent road noise and vibration oscillating.

Custom and modified vehicles must have the appropriate engineers report (thats about 2 cans of compressed concentrated worms 🪱, ask the hot rodders and choppers guys) With all of the reciepts of purchase for all the parts used in the build. Plans and paperwork and recipts and engineers report and, and, and, all need to be with you at vicroads on "Pit Day".

Emissions... um, O.K. yep. Sorry, i live in Australia- if it passes Euro this, or Californian EPA that, it should be fine. But, if it looks and sounds fine, it is.

So no exhaust leaks, of any type.

Then, seats, all clean, no tears.

Paint, must be more than 50% 1 colours. Must not have more than 2 major colours (may have changed, but this is to prevent people from having 1 panel in each colour to c0nfuse police- poor buggers)

Guards used to have to be 45° from thw Axle minimum, but now, is just- has mud/stone guard on front and rear? Yes? ✅

Primary and subsequent drives must all have guards upon inspection.

Fuel tanks must have a breather and a petcock.
Fuel tanks must be fastened securely and isolated from major shock or vibration.

battery must be secured, (is not allowed to be a zip tie) battery tray must not be corroded more than 20% of thickness at any point. Vehicle must have an isolated supply if battery is fitted (battery/vehicle must be able to be switched off)
Also
Vehicle must have a killswitch.
Bearings, steering neck and suspension (ha- if fitted) must all be in good 👍 condition and working order...

... and there's more. Hit me up if you want to know more, ooor, you could have a look on the internet and find oit the things i missed.
In my state, all you need is a form from the department of transportation for specially constructed vehicles, you take your bike to a mechanic who is licensed to perform what is called an enhanced inspection, which is just a regular safety inspection but only required once for self-built mopeds, if the mechanic approves your form, which most likely they will as long as you have mirrors, lights and working brakes, then you take the form back to the DOT, and they’ll issue you a title, and then you can register and insure it. But I bought a bike that already had a title.

I so agree with OP. Before it was stolen, my 49cc Grubbee powered Cranbrook happily putted away around 18 mph and did so for over 1,000 miles, until stolen. Supposedly, my 66 cc California MB Pk80 will push my Hyper Cruzer up to around 25mph, once broken in. That being said, I don't plan on going any faster than 21-22 mph. Regardless, the crankset bearings were replaced with a cassette (due to poor quality) and all bearings were cleaned and relubed with Park Tool Poly lube 1000 grease, and in ample quantity-Gearhead437

This post needs to get stickied.

I have been saying this (you said it more nice) and people won't listen to me either. You aren't getting 55mph out of a china doll with "light porting" that is another concept that people don't understand. The same people who say this are the same people who insist porting is just widening ports 1mm, raise the exhaust 1mm and lower the intake 1mm (Which is an outdated method, very practical when there weren't as many models)

I think I know where some of these issues started, and it starts with people insisting they get 10k RPMS out of a 47mm china doll. If you can get 8k, you're already doing better than most. What doesn't help is when people who weigh 250lbs are saying "yeah, I got 50mph out of box" because what happens is the new person who reads it, and when they only get 30mph on 10/44 gearing on a 26" they're convinced something must be wrong, but in reality that is exactly what it is and there are lots of people who lie, and I don't know why.

I'm going to sound like a scumbag, but I'm going to say it. The hobby is infiltrated by teenagers and adults who aren't that bright, there is a small sliver of reasonable people in the hobby. I'll never understand why people are dead set on figuring out how to go 50mph, but won't figure out how to upgrade from cantilever brakes.

Same thing with the Predator 212 builds. Those were never ever meant to be mounted in the middle of a bicycle frame. Something more stationary like a go-kart? Sure. The same group of people who have these ridiculous expectations are the same people who put all their focus into something fast but never safe. You then have people who think they can just buy their way into the hobby by buying the next shiny thing.

I'll leave with this. There was a guy last year who bought an MZ65 clone pipe, and stated he got an extra 10,000 RPMs out of it. I talked to him and he got irate with me. He not only doesn't have a tachometer to figure out the difference, but he has no way to even measure speed. 30mph on a bicycle feels faster than in a car, and I also think there are a majority of people who are just throwing a number on what they think they're going at, and not what they're actually.

Let's not forget that alot of these new people coming into the forums lately have problems with cash flow in this day and age with money being so tight and everything escalating in cost almost daily, and these advertisers are pandering to them by saying how much "easier and cheaper" these bikes are to run as a daily commuter back and forth to work, school, etc.

And lets also not forget how attractive this is also becoming for those of them who have just lost their license to drive due to multiple bad driving traffic infractions, bad accidents, as well as through their own stupidity of drunk and/or drugged driving as well.

They willingly believe all of the advertising hype and tripe because they are now desperate for any form of so-called "cheap" ransportation, so they join the forums with unrealistic expectations, and when told the truth, they don't want to hear it...lol...lol.
Performance parts become performance parts when the seller puts the word "performance" in the title

I have been saying this (you said it more nice) and people won't listen to me either. You aren't getting 55mph out of a china doll with "light porting" that is another concept that people don't understand. The same people who say this are the same people who insist porting is just widening ports 1mm, raise the exhaust 1mm and lower the intake 1mm (Which is an outdated method, very practical when there weren't as many models)

I think I know where some of these issues started, and it starts with people insisting they get 10k RPMS out of a 47mm china doll. If you can get 8k, you're already doing better than most. What doesn't help is when people who weigh 250lbs are saying "yeah, I got 50mph out of box" because what happens is the new person who reads it, and when they only get 30mph on 10/44 gearing on a 26" they're convinced something must be wrong, but in reality that is exactly what it is and there are lots of people who lie, and I don't know why.

I'm going to sound like a scumbag, but I'm going to say it. The hobby is infiltrated by teenagers and adults who aren't that bright, there is a small sliver of reasonable people in the hobby. I'll never understand why people are dead set on figuring out how to go 50mph, but won't figure out how to upgrade from cantilever brakes.

Same thing with the Predator 212 builds. Those were never ever meant to be mounted in the middle of a bicycle frame. Something more stationary like a go-kart? Sure. The same group of people who have these ridiculous expectations are the same people who put all their focus into something fast but never safe. You then have people who think they can just buy their way into the hobby by buying the next shiny thing.

I'll leave with this. There was a guy last year who bought an MZ65 clone pipe, and stated he got an extra 10,000 RPMs out of it. I talked to him and he got irate with me. He not only doesn't have a tachometer to figure out the difference, but he has no way to even measure speed. 30mph on a bicycle feels faster than in a car, and I also think there are a majority of people who are just throwing a number on what they think they're going at, and not what they're actually.
I’ll be even worse and say this hobby attracts tweakers, the illiterate and the greedy. Saw a guy on a Facebook group trying to sell an occ chopper with rusty forks and the gas tank and cdi duct taped on for $350. Crap like that really burns me up.

I'll leave with this. There was a guy last year who bought an MZ65 clone pipe, and stated he got an extra 10,000 RPMs out of it. I talked to him and he got irate with me. He not only doesn't have a tachometer to figure out the difference, but he has no way to even measure speed. 30mph on a bicycle feels faster than in a car, and I also think there are a majority of people who are just throwing a number on what they think they're going at, and not what they're actactually
I (and others on the forum) consider myself one of the few teenagers in this hobby who actually knows what's up with these engines. These are painted as a beautiful way to build a cheap reliable fast bike, but it is quite the opposite. I was truly surprised getting 40mph @9000 rpm on my BT80 out of the box on flat ground. I verified the speed by GPS and did the math to find rpm.

I’ll be even worse and say this hobby attracts tweakers, the illiterate and the greedy. Saw a guy on a Facebook group trying to sell an occ chopper with rusty forks and the gas tank and cdi duct taped on for $350. Crap like that really burns me up.
OCC bikes are a whole different story lol. People have even more sceeed ideas about those. They are expensive to build right. My dad is finding that one out lol.

OCC bikes are a whole different story lol. People have even more sceeed ideas about those. They are expensive to build right. My dad is finding that one out lol.
When I first got into the hobby awhile back, I seen the OCC and was like "oh wow, that is actually really cool"

I seen a video online of a grown ass man who was probably 5'11 and it was the silliest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I stumbled into this hobby because initially I was going to go electric but realized there were more cons than pros. I had knowledge with tools and basic mechanics, and it made more sense to build it myself (and if I didn't have tools, $50 at Harbor Freight is beyond more than what you'll need to set one up) Speaking of Hobo Freight, I went there on my bike and an employee came outside asking about my build, he asked how much it cost me? At that time it was a 49mm top end I did and I told him I don't even have $300 into the build and I'm over-estimating. He looked sad and frightened all in once. This guy paid $700 for a pre-build and it was an absolute lemon. It's the typical story of sellers snagging barn mountain bikes and putting an engine in it. I gave the guy my number in case he ran into any issues.

One week goes by and I get a text from the H.F guy. He dropped the bike and now the bike won't turn over, it's just silence. I knew it was a clutch related (if it's silence, then it's the clutch, if it turns over but doesn't fire over then it's ignition/fuel related) so, I begin explaining to him how to tighten the clutch plate and helpfully the spring pre-load won't need to be tightened. I ask him if he has a set of metric hex keys, and he didn't even own even a screwdriver.

I do notice a difference between people who buy pre-builds, and people who build them. There are a tiny sliver of people who are familiar with the hobby, but buy a pre-build because there's a good deal, maybe on a gas frame etc. The people who build it usually have a capacity of putting things together, weighing the pros and cons, seeing it costs $50 in tools, as opposed to spending $500 extra.

I don't know what it is, and I haven't been able to figure it out, but I don't see the "craziness" in scooter/moped communities that I do in this hobby.

When I first got into the hobby awhile back, I seen the OCC and was like "oh wow, that is actually really cool"

I seen a video online of a grown ass man who was probably 5'11 and it was the silliest thing I've ever seen in my life.

I stumbled into this hobby because initially I was going to go electric but realized there were more cons than pros. I had knowledge with tools and basic mechanics, and it made more sense to build it myself (and if I didn't have tools, $50 at Harbor Freight is beyond more than what you'll need to set one up) Speaking of Hobo Freight, I went there on my bike and an employee came outside asking about my build, he asked how much it cost me? At that time it was a 49mm top end I did and I told him I don't even have $300 into the build and I'm over-estimating. He looked sad and frightened all in once. This guy paid $700 for a pre-build and it was an absolute lemon. It's the typical story of sellers snagging barn mountain bikes and putting an engine in it. I gave the guy my number in case he ran into any issues.

One week goes by and I get a text from the H.F guy. He dropped the bike and now the bike won't turn over, it's just silence. I knew it was a clutch related (if it's silence, then it's the clutch, if it turns over but doesn't fire over then it's ignition/fuel related) so, I begin explaining to him how to tighten the clutch plate and helpfully the spring pre-load won't need to be tightened. I ask him if he has a set of metric hex keys, and he didn't even own even a screwdriver.

I do notice a difference between people who buy pre-builds, and people who build them. There are a tiny sliver of people who are familiar with the hobby, but buy a pre-build because there's a good deal, maybe on a gas frame etc. The people who build it usually have a capacity of putting things together, weighing the pros and cons, seeing it costs $50 in tools, as opposed to spending $500 extra.

I don't know what it is, and I haven't been able to figure it out, but I don't see the "craziness" in scooter/moped communities that I do in this hobby.
Then there’s a guy like me who will pay $1100 for a titled MB, only to completely rebuild it. It came with a 79cc predator, I test rode it and it did struggle on some mild hills during the test ride. So I’m putting a 212 in it, but I also put motorcycle forks, a moped seat, moped wheels and speed rated tires. I basically paid for the title and frame lol. But I live less than a minute from a PA state police barracks so I think it was worth it to be legal lol.

The 4 stroke scooter guys love to lie about top speeds and performance but the moped and scooter scene is full of tuners. Lots of different people are attracted to the scooters as a relatively cheap mode of transport, and some just go nutty with the overboring (and porting if its a two stroke) and cvt tuning, while some couldn't be bothered to do their own oil change.

Back