Experience being pulled over in CA

Great feeling when you're riding full legit. Like MBGuy said the plate and ID Card are so cheap it doesn't make sence not to get it.

I noticed you didn't mention anything about liability insurance.

What are everyone's thoughts on insurance, required or not?

I say not, have my argument rehearsed and carry a few docs for support.
Interesting, I haven't thought of insurance. I'm only six-teen, and never had to worry about this... lol

First off, no legitimate insurance company would write a policy on a home made china girl kit so you couldn't get insurance even if you tried. If you can find an insurance company willing to write a policy on one of these bikes please let us all know on the forum! Also, only 1 mirror is required on the road side (left handlebar). In CA lights are only required if you are riding after dusk. Also, as I understand it, your helmet must be a motorcycle approved DOT certified helmet, NOT just a bicycle helmet.

Last edited:
First off, no legitimate insurance company would write a policy on a home made china girl kit so you couldn't get insurance even if you tried. If you can find an insurance company willing to write a policy on one of these bikes please let us all know on the forum! Also, only 1 mirror is required on the road side (left handlebar). In CA lights are only required if you are riding after dusk. Also, as I understand it, your helmet must be a motorcycle approved DOT certified helmet, NOT just a bicycle helmet.
Trash! Now I need a DOT helmet. I thought a my bell road helmet would be ok... but I guess not. Any suggestions on where to get a decent but not too pricey DOT helmet? Ebay looked alright, but I don't have a load of money. I was hoping to find one for less than 30, doesn't look possible though. Oh, and can I use the DOT helmet when I upgrade to a motorcycle?

Trash! Now I need a DOT helmet. I thought a my bell road helmet would be ok... but I guess not. Any suggestions on where to get a decent but not too pricey DOT helmet? Ebay looked alright, but I don't have a load of money. I was hoping to find one for less than 30, doesn't look possible though. Oh, and can I use the DOT helmet when I upgrade to a motorcycle?
Just check Amazon or walmart. You can usually find one for around $40, sometimes cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/VCAN-V531-Solid-Black-Helmet/dp/B001VE34R0/

Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.

ebay also have ones for $30 from a us seller. i mean this is as low grade as you can get. i wear it for my motorcycle probably more suitable for a motorized bike or moped...

Yeah, something like this at least---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...m569e5270e3:m:mP7W5kiE1s7FtbokRXyTylg&vxp=mtr

I know it seems like a pain but you should know that at any given time 1 out of every 8 drivers are drunk or on drugs or just texting while they drive or some other bunch of BS and when a car hits a bike the bike loses every time no matter who is at fault. You only got one skull and you don't want to spend the rest of your life eating through a tube and trying to remember your name, it might be the best $30 you ever spent.

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Yeah, something like this at least---> https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...m569e5270e3:m:mP7W5kiE1s7FtbokRXyTylg&vxp=mtr

I know it seems like a pain but you should know that at any given time 1 out of every 8 drivers are drunk or on drugs or just texting while they drive or some other bunch of BS and when a car hits a bike the bike loses every time no matter who is at fault. You only got one skull and you don't want to spend the rest of your life eating through a tube and trying to remember your name, it might be the best $30 you ever spent.
That's fair, gonna get a good helmet. Worth every penny now. Don't want to be another Statistic. Thanks brother.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
try your local goodwill or other thrift stores, thats where i got my helmet and my most expensive one costed $25. hope this helps

you can buy DOT helmets on eBay for 15-35 USD from US sellers. it range from half helmet, open face, to full face at a low price. its probably suspect for motorcycle riding but probably more than enough for motorized biking or a 30 mph moped.

you can buy DOT helmets on eBay for 15-35 USD from US sellers. it range from half helmet, open face, to full face at a low price. its probably suspect for motorcycle riding but probably more than enough for motorized biking or a 30 mph moped.
the one i wear when all the time i payed 10 bucks at goodwill.... ebay is a great place to shop, goodwill is worth a look as well.

Back