Ext muffler quickie.

bike4life

Local time
7:45 AM
My muffler just barely clears my pedals and when I bike it gets hit and it goes clink clink....
I can either bend it with a torch or extend it with some spare heater hose left over from the carb extension. Not really sure which to go with.
How much distance should I expand it, (I have 5ft of tube) and it doesn’t matter if the muffler is level or parrell, right.
If I extend it, will it increase torque or increase top speed. THX

What I did was elongate one (or both, can't remember) of the holes in the flange so that the muffler can be mounted slightly rotated inward towards the frame.
I actually also dented the side a little bit using a bit of cylindrical rod (actually a 6 ounce lead ("sinker" in USA)) and a hammer, but doing that does crack the paint. I just didn't care about the paint.

Be careful using a torch if your muffler is chrome plated. Chrome is toxic like zinc.

Heater hose shouldn't be in direct contact with the exhaust gasses especially in the header pipe area, I believe.
I am using high temperature silicone hose after the muffler but that is a little different from heater hose and the gasses are cooler there.
You may be able to use heater hose to join pieces of metal tubing even at the header as long as you have decent hose clamps (not worm screw type aka jubilee clamps) and don't expect the hose to last forever.

yeah, just a few seconds with a rat-tail file will allow a lot of rotation on the muffler - and it is round inside anyway, so makes no diff

Back