EZM update

My Q-matic problems

I have had a few problems with the q-matic belts. I like the way this gearbox performs when it works correctly. Far superior to the old grubee i had on my bike before. I have went through three belts on this thing. (all supplied by EZM). Makes me scared to take the bike more than a couple miles from my house. In fact I had to peddle 5 mikes back home during the first break down. It would be nice to have a belt that's easy to change on the road instead of tearing apart the whole gearbox.

I hear all this talk about new designs and new belts. I've had to change belts change pulleys try this try that. It's like I'm the tester here. None of this was thought of during the thousands of testing miles for the old design? I know designs change but I wish all this was thought of before I dropped $250 on a gearbox for my bike. I am currently running my own belt I found. And changed a couple things I thought would work. Since then gearbox is working ok and I'm not afraid to ride far anymore.

Bottom line is I would say I want my money back. But what else do I have to choose from? Nothing that compares to the performance of the Q-Matic. Reliability is the problem here.

When there ate many images, and/or they are wide, we really appreciate it if they're uploaded here, instead. So, I did so & deleted img tags.​

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpg
    IMG_7262.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_7263.jpg
    IMG_7263.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 393
  • IMG_7264.jpg
    IMG_7264.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_7265.jpg
    IMG_7265.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_7266.jpg
    IMG_7266.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_7267.jpg
    IMG_7267.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG_7268.jpg
    IMG_7268.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_7244.jpg
    IMG_7244.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 344
  • IMG_7245.jpg
    IMG_7245.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 336
  • IMG_7246.jpg
    IMG_7246.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 327
  • IMG_7247.jpg
    IMG_7247.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG_7248.jpg
    IMG_7248.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_7249.jpg
    IMG_7249.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_7250.jpg
    IMG_7250.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 315
  • IMG_7251.jpg
    IMG_7251.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 316
Last edited by a moderator:
I have had a few problems with the q-matic belts. I like the way this gearbox performs when it works correctly. Far superior to the old grubee i had on my bike before. I have went through three belts on this thing. (all supplied by EZM). Makes me scared to take the bike more than a couple miles from my house. In fact I had to peddle 5 mikes back home during the first break down. It would be nice to have a belt that's easy to change on the road instead of tearing apart the whole gearbox.

I hear all this talk about new designs and new belts. I've had to change belts change pulleys try this try that. It's like I'm the tester here. None of this was thought of during the thousands of testing miles for the old design? I know designs change but I wish all this was thought of before I dropped $250 on a gearbox for my bike. I am currently running my own belt I found. And changed a couple things I thought would work. Since then gearbox is working ok and I'm not afraid to ride far anymore.

Bottom line is I would say I want my money back. But what else do I have to choose from? Nothing that compares to the performance of the Q-Matic. Reliability is the problem here.

How long did the belts last before they shredded?

Hi Kline's Kustoms,

One of our vendors made the drive pulley incorrectly, and caused the belt to pinch in the pulley. Pinching the bottom of the "V" caused it to run hot and destroyed the inner core of the belt. After checking the pulley stock we found most were made correctly and only a few were cut at the wrong angle.

The issue was corrected and we offered to refund your money or upgrade to the correct drive pulley & belt. Of all the drives we shipped only 2 had the belt problem. In both cases the belt was damaged in less than 50 miles. It was difficult to pin point the problem as all the other drives were working correctly and we thought all the parts were identical [they weren't]. Just never occured to us to check the angle of each custom pulley in stock. I inspected all the remaining pulleys in stock and re-cut the defective ones to the correct angle, however we will not ship them with future drive systems. We are now shipping all the drives with the original "Congress" drive pulley.

The defective pulleys are billet and have "EZ-Bikes USA" etched on the face. Only a few, not all, were made wrong, however we will gladly replace any pulleys and belts under warranty if needed. Please contact your dealer and we will supply a new pulley, belt, and parts needed to upgrade to production version #5.

Sorry that this issue wasn't detected sooner.
Have fun,

Last edited:
Thanks for your concern Quentin. If its not to much to ask could you send all the upgrades to Neil in Anaheim (belts,pulleys, and tensioner). Thanks.

To answer your question ghost they failed under 40 miles each time. I'm not really a slow rider. I take my gearbox to its limit. Which is about 38mph.

Hi Kline's Kustoms,

It is very important that the front drive pulley be replaced. Please have Neil replace it if he hasn't already done so. All current drives are shipping with the "Congress" aluminum drive pulley.

I will send all the parts to Neil [per your request] to upgrade you version 4 to version 5.
I will supply him with the necessary information to make the upgrade for you. The changes are very minor, and shouldn't take very long to make them.

It appears only two Q-Matics had the defective pulley, and both trashed the belts somewhere between 30 and 50 miles.

Have fun,

Back