Fabricated Steel intake.

Evan Frucht

Local time
5:49 PM
Hey I was going to weld up a custom intake manifold out of regular old steel and was looking for people opinion.

My only concern is that if I make an intake manifold put of mild steel wont it rust on the inside and potentially destroy my cylinder?

Does anyone have any input on this, is there a better material/method of doing this. I thought about brazing or aluminum brazing but im thinking the manifold may get too hot for that.

Hey I was going to weld up a custom intake manifold out of regular old steel and was looking for people opinion.

My only concern is that if I make an intake manifold put of mild steel wont it rust on the inside and potentially destroy my cylinder?

Does anyone have any input on this, is there a better material/method of doing this. I thought about brazing or aluminum brazing but im thinking the manifold may get too hot for that.
The steel will be fine when the gas mix passes through it it leaves a thin coating of oil on the walls.I make steel intakes that are left raw with no issues,when not in use for prolonged periods a smeared oil coating will prevent rusting.This is the last intake I made from steel and I've yet to get it powder coated but it hasn't even shown any signs of rusting yet.Once you have the intake made and it's the way you want it's pretty cheap to get a powder coat place to add it to a run then it will out last the engine's internals with out question.

Attachments

• 2017-07-26 17.21.30.jpg
    2017-07-26 17.21.30.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 251
I'm making one from 6061 T6 aluminum.

Aluminum dissipates heat much faster than steel does and it weighs a bit less.

Aluminum is of course way better but I dont own a tig welder yet and even if I fab up the peices to be welded paying someone to do the welds is expensive.

Don't worry about a steel intake (I take it it's on a 2 stroke) your crank and rod are bare steel not a problem oil in the gas coats the metal and prevents corrosion as long as you don't let it sit in a damp shed for years!!

Just think of how much faster a fraction of an ounce will make on a 2hp bike. ZOOOM!!!! :)

Thanks for the input everyone. I was thinking the gas and oil would protect it for the most part but wasnt sure and always wondered what people's experiences have been.

I would make it out of aluminum if I had me a TIG. Only a MIG and torch for now... I watched a video where a guy demonstrated welding thin aluminum with an oxy acetylene torch and it came out nice. That may be a good thing to start practicing... I've also seen aluminum brazing with a propane torch but I'm not sure that would be strong enough.

lot of guys use handle bar tub, with big enough washer for it to fit in. ( they end up about 1/8" thick ) Drill bolt holes and cut execs off....................Curt

Back