fantastic headlight setup on the cheap!

hi guys nashbar has a huge sale on they have led lights similar too the ones you are discussing for mounting to both the bike and helmet for under $20.

Well, my light was still on in the morning, but was pretty dim. Chinese batteries, I presume. I threw in the NiMh batteries and it was brighter than ever.

I was there from noon to 2:30 and there was no change. BRIGHT I can't wait for my cheap lights to come in so I will feel safer out at night.

This does look like a pretty nice setup. those hallway photos are convincing.

Have you tried an overnight test with better batteries yet, datz?

I'll see if I can dig up some new Alkalines and try another test. These lights are blindingly bright for at least 5-6 hours ona set of batteries.. I got about 8 hours out of a set of high mAh rated NiMh batteries, and the light as a whole was much much brighter than the other batteries.

I will see if Ican pick up some nice lithium alkalines to see what kinda battery life I can get.

With the NiMh batteries, its not really an issue though, since I can just throw them in the charger before I go night riding.

Batteries wont be an issue especially if one ends up running wiring to power everything off a common 6v or 12v battery with a 12v engine powered generator on the bike. You could run these for days of a decent sized 6v battery!

Last edited:
These Lights Work

I mounted the same lights. Got them at Walmart.
They do work. Being LEDs they give a blue'r light spectrum.
I would prefer bright white for my eyes.

The batteries did run down while riding. I tried rechargeables then had the idea of an old cellphone battery.

I wired the cellphone into the flashlights and MUCH BRIGHTER and MUCH MUCH MUCH LONGER.
http://goldeneaglebikeengine.blogspot.com/2007/11/first-can-i-do-it-in-cold-ride.html

These are good little lights. I may switch to 3 instead of two.

In the above picture you'll see a big headlight. I bought one of those big white light beam flashlights from walmart.
I mounted the bulb part on the handlebars and ran the battery body part to my drink holder.
18 minutes of very powerful white light.
I only used this in the dark cold days of winter.

But I do like bright white light over LED especially with motor speeds.
But these small LEDs do a very good job.

For security I added this safety vest and feel much safer riding at night:
http://www.ajprindle.com/products/sku-13129__id-32__orderby-nw.html

The paint on these flashlights may be lead based

I have been reading posts about headlights on the forum to help me decide what I wanted. I guess that there should be a wide margin when weighing cost against safety. I appreciate all of this information. I would love to have the Fenix but I am going to continue my research before I spend that much money. I mean adding it to all of the money that I've already spent. Anyway, to my point. I found the following review on Amazon from a purchaser of the Super-Bright fl who gave the product a rating of 1. I think that there was at least one other reviewer that talked about this label.
-Raulin

"I was first attracted to this product by its small size, excellent light intensity, and price. When I received the package, right on the back was a safety disclaimer. Turns out this product is manufactured in China and the pain(t) they use on it is lead based. More troubling was the fact that warning label advised the user to wear goggles and gloves when using the flashlight. When was the last time anyone had to use flashlights and gloves to use a flashlight. As the proverbial saying goes, you get what you pay for. I just didn't expect that such an simple product would be a detrimental health risk."

It's only like $64 shipped for the Fenix L2D Q5 and the TwoFish bike mount after using the cpf8 discount at www.4sevens.com , and if you already have a mount or think you can make your own... it'd only be like $57 for the light alone.

That's not bad at all. And considering it's a bright white light that doesn't dim because it's regulated, lasts for hours off of 2-AAs, is waterproof, very durable, super compact (I think I'm gonna carry it with me always when I'm not riding), and makes a nice weapon to boot... I don't see the problem.

I loved the Coast P7 I bought, but I left it at a friend's house, who ended up having problems with her roommate, so her roommate broke the lease and started packing her stuff and ended up taking my flashlight with her. $95 down the drain!! One of the biggest mistakes of my life. Oh well, at least I'll be trying the Fenix out in a couple days, and I'll be able to see which light really is better for biking.

Bought the Fenix L2D Q5 and Twofish

Well, you convinced me Sparky. I bought them. Now all I need is a bike to put them on. I am hoping that the bike shipped today. After my bike arrives I will let you know how they work for me. The discount code CPFAUGUST10 expired so I didn't get a discount. All tolled the cost was $69.
Thanx Sparky
-Raulin

The current discount for www.4sevens.com is cpf8 and I believe they have free shipping on orders over $20. The guys over at www.candlepowerforums.com (where the "cpf" in the coupon code comes from) tell me that 4sevens advertises there, but I don't see ads since I use AdBlock Plus on Firefox.

Last edited:
Back