Fastest/most reliable bike motor?

Alaskavan,

Great info! If I can wait for the Titan, I will probably do it.... The Honda may be calling my name though...

And HuaSheng? How does that fall into the mix?

First what do you want to do? Go really fast and upset cops or travel long distances with a heavy load?

I'm looking at ditching my car and commuting on a motored bike. My commute to work necessitates going on major urban roads in heavy traffic. It's my philosophy that in certain situations more speed and power = safety. It improves my ability to travel with the flow of traffic, meaning that I have to interact with fewer cars on the way to work (because not as many are passing me.)

If I was going to ride a Moped every day to work I would get a Tomos. I like the Targa LX. The advantage to a Moped, and the bikes we are building fit into this catagory, is the insurance and registration and fuel savings. Have fun Dave
PS: They have cool hop up stuff. Just Google Tomos Targa LX, looks cool.

That Targa LX looks SWEET! It's just a little out of my price range for the moment, though. :/

If you are going to mix it up with heavy traffice then you want to go fast? Better worry about the brakes more than the engine. I have absolutly no desire to be going really fast in heavy traffic on a bicycle. And remember, these are motor assisted bicycles. I know age will make you do things that you reflest on later and think how low in intelegence you were at the time. I would look for an alternative, though maybe longer in distance to try and avoid the heavy traffic. If you do not see bicycles on your comute, well there may be a reason. All opinion.. You are full grown.

Traffic along unavoidable roads to work moves along about 40 mph. There are no shoulders or sidewalks for much of the way. Would you rather go 25 or 35?

Even if you would rather go 25, would you want your engine to already be topped out at that speed? This is a matter of economics. I have to go to work to pay the bills. Even then, I sometimes don't have enough money to make ends meet. I have to cut money somewhere. And I have professional ambitions that require me to use time (I could otherwise use to make overtime wages) to accomplish things that will hopefully pay off in the long run.

Safety, then, is contextualized. I would rather die young trying to make the best of my life than die old not having put my talents to use. If it's foolish, talk to the puppeteer upstairs, and tell him I'd like to have a word with him too, if he dares show his face 'round these parts. :rolleyes: ;)

Tf, one other consideration is suggested since you mentioned you're not opposed to something wth licence and registration ... I got a new 35mph scooter delivered to the door for under $500 ... 50cc, one speed ,no variator , but bright yellow, headlights, turn signals, horn, fuel gauge , dimmer indicators, kill switch, electric or kick start .... common chinese stuff on the internet .... since any of these builds easily amounts to over $750 or more when you want it to look good, why not just buy a scooter if the 'thrill of the build' isn't exactly the highlighted concern ? (Just re-read this post and it reads like I'm trying to sell you one ! ... I mean look under online companies like Geely, Neo, ... back when I bought mine it was from an Ebay storefront .... now they wont sell to Ca. because its a Vinned vehicle and a 2 stroke .. but a lot of States do permit internet 2 stroke sales and truck delivery to your door

Last edited by a moderator:
reliable bike engines

hey, this is a question lots of people are asking, i always try to steer people towards the 4 strokes, people are usually wanting to ride here in fl for more than 30 minutes at a time. i'm a fan of the ez drive motor kit though spendy 600.00. sooooo in reply whatever you can afford in a 4 stroke is imo the best way to go, also try not to exceed your own mechanical abilities.then maintenance will be a breeze.
Hi guys,

I'm new to this site (from Arkansas), since my 70cc 2-stroke kicked the bucket tonight. I'm seriously considering selling my car and riding a motored bike everywhere, if I can find a setup that is (relatively) maintenance free.

Is there a general consensus among you regarding what is the most powerful/ most reliable (frame-mounted) set-up on the market?

On another note, (since I'm not totally opposed to motorcycle registration), is anyone out there mounting larger/more powerful motors (ie. >50cc 4-stroke or >70cc 2-stroke) on their frames with relatively little difficulty? In particular, do most pocketbike engines require a custom-fabbed mount (and are they reliable?) What about go-cart engines? Others?

Thanks a million!

Tom

Back