Fat old men and their magnetos

T

tombird

Last week the diagonal bar on my bike broke at the front motor mount and I crash landed. The bike was a Columbia 18 speed. I limped on home with it and removed the wheels and the engine and began looking for a new bike to mount the engine on. I just bought the 70 cc from Dax and do not have a hundred miles on it.

Now comes the dumb part. After reinstalling the engine on a 21 speed Murray I jerked the white wire out of the magneto after I hooked up a kill switch. I am reinstalling a new magneto I bought as a replacement from Kings. The ohms readings are within specs. The problem is that the heavy magnet will not let me center the coil so the magnet turns drag free.

Does it matter if there is a little drag when the armature turns? The engine, after all the false starts, is great. My problem remains, how to I keep the armature from dubbing?"

ok, looky-here...after 3 hectic days of long hours, i've got the new tech/mech area in fine shape, with the major help of our cool moddy's.

the above post, about a magneto on a frame-mounted "70cc", was originally in the BICYCLE forum...do you get it? there is a forum to discuss frame-mounted engines and problems...it's right at the top of the garage. do you see my announcements?

since i re-structured, i've been tossing out so many off-topics in here, you'all wouldn't believe it...i did NOT single out tombird on purpose.

i didn't toss this one because i need an example to make it clear that ANY off-topic posts or threads in the garage will be deleted!

read the garage caption, read the individual forum titles and captions...do you see you are in a highly organized and effective technical area? do you see how easy it is to choose the proper category to talk about your engine and kit? why are you being so casual in your handling of such a valuable resource?

anyone wanna back me up on this so i don't have to listen to peeps calling me the bad guy all the time?

darn-tootin' i'm po'd...this practice truly has been non-stop since i built the new workshop :(

You are not a bad guy augidog...far from it!

You are here everday. I can take breaks from this board. I used to mod on two computer hardware/repair forums and never do I wish to mod again. It is a thankless task!

Students/newbies, water, air and electricity will always take the path of least resistance. :D

it took a lot of time and effort to re-organize the forum
if you can't figure out where to put a post, don't post !!!
(or, ask a moody for assistance)
I would rather answer a question about where to post something, than get p*s*ed off that someone didn't care enough to bother trying to keep the place neat and clean

it took a lot of time and effort to re-organize the forum
if you can't figure out where to put a post, don't post !!!
(or, ask a moody for assistance)
I would rather answer a question about where to post something, than get p*s*ed off that someone didn't care enough to bother trying to keep the place neat and clean

What he said!

Augi, The new structure is AWESOME!!!

Last week the diagonal bar on my bike broke at the front motor mount and I crash landed. The bike was a Columbia 18 speed. I limped on home with it and removed the wheels and the engine and began looking for a new bike to mount the engine on. I just bought the 70 cc from Dax and do not have a hundred miles on it.

Now comes the dumb part. After reinstalling the engine on a 21 speed Murray I jerked the white wire out of the magneto after I hooked up a kill switch. I am reinstalling a new magneto I bought as a replacement from Kings. The ohms readings are within specs. The problem is that the heavy magnet will not let me center the coil so the magnet turns drag free.

Does it matter if there is a little drag when the armature turns? The engine, after all the false starts, is great. My problem remains, how to I keep the armature from dubbing?"

Wrap the armature with thin cardboard to keep the poles of the magneto centered during installation. Remove the cardboard after the mounting screws are tightened. Should be no drag then.

Does it matter if there is a little drag when the armature turns?
yes and no no cuz it works yes cuz it will cause undo wear and tear on your engine take a dremel to in and grind it down thats probly easiest

MBc edit: No need to grind down your magnito or armature.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes and no no cuz it works yes cuz it will cause undo wear and tear on your engine take a dremel to in and grind it down thats probly easiest

NO!!!!! Leave the dremel in the box!!!

thin cardboard.....matchbook cover works well as a feeler gauge, of sorts. You can slide it out after you have your magnito bolted down.

Minibiker.....what are you thinking of grinding down?? the magnito? the magnet? How about neither!?!?!!!

it is a very bad idea to tell someone to attack their engine with a dremel
just because a process worked for you, doesn't mean that it is the right way
we do not condone giving bad information around here
the cardboard trick works (have done it myself)

Last edited:
Wrap the armature with thin cardboard to keep the poles of the magneto centered during installation. Remove the cardboard after the mounting screws are tightened. Should be no drag then.

This is right! Matchbook thickness. Just like the old days, I always kept a book of matches in my tool box so I could adjust my points.

Please leave to Dremel in it's box away from the MotoredBike.:confused:

Back