FD worn bearing , how worn is to worn and not damage the engine

Buzzard2

Local time
12:34 AM
Hi i have a fs with a bit of wobble on the outside but by the clutch it is pretty loose . Can/ will this put presure on the engine clutch.

Damn! There is about an 1/8 of an inch on the outer and about a 1/4 of an inch of play by the bell.

Check all your mounting brackets.

My FD roller snapped at the bell, when I failed to install the left-side bracket.

You should replace the bearings.

When my old bearings were removed, I changed the bearing fit in the drive housing.

They were press-fit, and a bear to replace.

The machine shop had me by the 'nads, every time I replaced bearings and friction rollers.

I clearanced the housing where the bearings fit in,
so the bearings became slip-fit.

Then I could R&R the bearings myself, every few months.
I could also change the friction rollers easily.

Last edited:
Check all your mounting brackets.

My FD roller snapped at the bell, when I failed to install the left-side bracket.

You should replace the bearings.

When my old bearings were removed, I changed the bearing fit in the drive housing.

They were press-fit, and a bear to replace.

The machine shop had me by the 'nads, every time I replaced bearings and friction rollers.

I clearanced the housing where the bearings fit in,
so the bearings became slip-fit.

Then I could R&R the bearings every few months.
I could also change the friction rollers easily.

I recently took this GREAT advise from an old thread you posted in.
Thank You, thank you, thank you 👍👍

An Arbor Press at HF was $60, so I cheaped-out and just used a hammer on the outside bearing...it took about 30-40 hard whacks.
Finally both beearings, with roller still attached, broke free and came out engine side.
I'm telling ya, for the life of me, I could not get those bearings off the ends of the roller.
Staton reeaaallly presses them on good....a little too good.🤦‍♂️
I finally used a gringing wheel and cut those bastards off the spindle!

Using a dremmel sanding drum, I made both press-fit bearing holes into slip-fit, and lightly sanded the ends of the roller.
A-MAZING results....Now, my friction rollers fit the bearings perfectly, and the bearings fit in the friction housing like a glove(no more press-fit.)
It's a breeze to change bearings and rollers😁

*The no-hole external snap rings can be a real b!tch to get on/off, so I bought new rings, with holes, to make the job super easy with snap ring pliers.
*Quality bearings are readily available online for just a couple of bucks.

Last edited:
Yes, frustrations and $50 changed to happy and free, when it was time to change rollers and bearings.

With just a few seconds of sandpapering, it became so easy to replace them.

When I say a few seconds, I mean 20 seconds each side of the roller.

It is THAT easy.:)

Last edited:
Back