FEDERAL LAW SAYS YES !!! And now State Law too ? Yes !!!!

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by thatsdax, Jan 7, 2007.

Tags: Add Tags
  1. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

    Interesting that the new law passed in AZ now conforms to the Federal law making motor assisted bicycles of 48cc or less technically a bicycle and are legal to go anywhere a bicycle is allowed to go with no license. I did not know that it was a federal law all this time. And those states that do not allow them are bucking Federal law. I learned all this by going to the spooky tooth website and also procuring the federal and new state law information forwarded to me by spookytooth. Way to go Spooky !!! Now..If we can just get all 50 states to abide by federal law ..That would be Great !!! Help keep America Free !!!! and ... Fun too...Imagine that.. Having fun and conserving fuel at the same time. Wow !! What a concept. Enjoy the ride....

  2. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    thanks very much to spooky & dax for this great news...washington state, here we come 8)
  3. etheric

    etheric Guest

    ANYwhere a bicycle can go? Wow...that could get ugly. I think I'd (and probably most of us here would) prefer to avoid some bike heavy areas out of courtesy. Plus if you can take a 48cc machine on citytrails, then why not an 80cc? (rather, the police here aren't dutch, and are not going to measure displacement)
    Time for some sleuthing on my part....
  4. etheric

    etheric Guest

    If you've got the sources handy DAX, please post them. I'm digging around, but would love to see what you've already found.
  5. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    even if it's legally a bicycle, i'm sure hazmat laws will still apply in many cases re: "anywhere"

    in pacific county, i can't put my bike on the bus-rack because of fuel, period.
  6. sherryc8641

    sherryc8641 Guest

    How about in my state?

    Is it legal in New Jersey Yet? :grin:
  7. Tom

    Tom Active Member

    Aug 4, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I bet you can't ride your motorized bikes indoors. I won't even put mine indoors cause of the fuel...
  8. gone_fishin

    gone_fishin Guest

    shoot, i keep mine inside, no probs with fumes at all except when i had that leak which is totally fixed now, but boy did my eyes water for a coupla days there :yuck:

    and, get this...one of the local grocers lets me park inside the door, they're just cool that way 8)
  9. uncle_punk13

    uncle_punk13 Guest

    If at all possible please send me this info (the federal reg.s), I'd like to have it with me when I ride, and perhaps begin the process of lobbying here in WA to change the RCW restrictions. LET THE REVOLUTION BEGIN! :lol:
    I've always been a bit upset by the fact that washington considers electric powered bikes to be bicycles, but (under 49cc) motobikes to be mopeds and therefore restricted, and needing licensing.
    Cool! I can now build that motorized mountain bike I've wanted, AND take it on the trails!!!
    Thanks so much for that!!!
  10. apratt

    apratt Guest

    I went to the State patrol office in Chehalis, Wa. to get some info on MB the lady there was totally dumbfounded. She gave me some brochure and a person who to call, but when I got home and read the brochure it was totally unrelated the bicycles. So I went online to get some info I am still waiting to hear from WSDOT.
  11. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    Sep 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    This is the type of info I would like to carry on my laminated card, I was even thinking about the very same topic on my trip, contemplating getting some sort of Congressional action.

    Hope this gets "defined" quick. Thanks thatsdax!
  12. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

  13. bamabikeguy

    bamabikeguy Active Member

    Sep 30, 2006
    Likes Received:
    I put thatsdax' January post back to the top as a "sticky", because the overiding Federal part of his topic should be read and understood IN ADDITION to state and local ordinances.

    I plan on carrying it around with me, (though I've never had one problem, and go out of the way to show the bike to police as I travel to new areas).

    It's should be read by all MB members....and I thank t-dax for pointing it out in other legal topics.

    This just might make it easier to notice. :cool:
  14. thatsdax

    thatsdax Guest

    Yes !!! Help keep America Free !!!!!!

    Yes...Help Keep America Free... Ride a MAB -motored Assisted Bicycle..........Enjoy the ride....
  15. turkeyssr

    turkeyssr Guest

    It's up to the states

    After reading the PDF, it's clear to me that the regulation of 2 wheeled vehicles with a speed capability of 20mph or greater, then it's up to the states how they classify such vehicles and choose to regulate them. I'm certain that operating a GEBE equipped vehicle on a bike path would NOT make the police happy; in spite of 200mpg. It would take $8/gallon gas and a number of complaining/participating people before anything would change. Just my $.02
  16. Patch

    Patch Guest

  17. Hugemoth

    Hugemoth Guest

    For $5 at Harbor Freight you can get a metal stamp set and stamp anything you want onto your engine. Being in Oregon I stamp "35cc" onto my engines.

  18. azbill

    azbill Active Member

    Dec 15, 2006
    Likes Received:
    check out my deviate pics :lol: :lol: :lol:
    I AM IN AZ :p :p
    3rd engine it's been on 8) 8) 8)
  19. Radioman

    Radioman Guest

    Valley Forge Park

    I've been told by a park rangerette there are absolutely no motorized bikes

    of any kind permitted on the bike paths through the park.
    I would love to read this federal law.
  20. irish13

    irish13 Guest

    lets just not tell the fuzz about motoedbikes.com, lol