FEDERAL LAW SAYS YES !!! And now State Law too ? Yes !!!!

Forgive me, brother. That sig has been around for weeks now. It is time for a change. I only kept it around because of the Final Days of the Health Care Run, even tho I don't agree with all of it... but I have heard a number of positive things that will come from it. It's a step. :cool:

Glad you guys are not turning it into a brawling match. Cheers. If either party keeps getting their way, we will be seeing a lot more MB's as the gas will be $$$$ and the jobs will be $.

I got the local cops to ride mine too.

Could someone please show me where the federal law is? I am having a hard time finding it. Even on the Spooky tooth web page. I do not want to get so worried that I descize my motorized bicycle by putting the engine in a baby seat and dressing it up like a baby.

Now THATS funny!!!

Interesting that the new law passed in AZ now conforms to the Federal law making motor assisted bicycles of 48cc or less technically a bicycle and are legal to go anywhere a bicycle is allowed to go with no license. I did not know that it was a federal law all this time. And those states that do not allow them are bucking Federal law. I learned all this by going to the spooky tooth website and also procuring the federal and new state law information forwarded to me by spookytooth. Way to go Spooky !!! Now..If we can just get all 50 states to abide by federal law ..That would be Great !!! Help keep America Free !!!! and ... Fun too...Imagine that.. Having fun and conserving fuel at the same time. Wow !! What a concept. Enjoy the ride....

not that I dont like riding mb's... but I would prefer that the state reserve the right to supersede federal law within its own boarders. The contrary would almost certainly extinguish freedom instead of preserve it.

It's NOT a federal law. There was a posting, I guess you would call it, in the Federal Register four or five years ago, discussing a proposal that internal combustion MB's with the less than 50cc, 20MPH limit to considered a bicycle, but, AFAIK, nothing more ever came of it...

There's a federal ruling about electric MBs being bicycles, but nothing about I.C. MBs.

Last edited:
Thank you, loquin!!

I'm glad the title of this thread has been changed now.

EDIT: Err... looks like it hasn't changed and that's just the way it looks on this computer. Perhaps it could be changed, tho??

Frankly, I'm ashamed, Hough.

Federal law ALWAYS supercedes state law. The only trick comes down to convincing the State's "agents" that you're right.....

I'm not going to argue about this. I just hope that some attorney on the other side of a case of mine believes this...that'll be fun.

Frankly, I'm ashamed, Hough.

Federal law ALWAYS supercedes state law. The only trick comes down to convincing the State's "agents" that you're right.

If this is true, can you please explain to me how medical marijuana works in california????

The federal law clearly defines marijuana as a schedule 1 drug... which states that it has "no potential for medical use".

Seems to me that (if they could) the DEA would prosecute all those thousands of dispensaries that are distributing a schedule 1 drug, illegally as defined under the Psychotropic Substances Act of 1978.

Just went to the NHTSA site again. NOW, there IS some good news.

The NHTSA site has changed. (apparently, they got tired of explaining their very subjective definition of what was considered a 'motor vehicle,' over and over and over...)

Under item 6, in addition to the Electric assisted bicycles, They now say that scooters which cannot exceed 20 MPH are NOT considered motor vehicles.

Note that this is in their Importation and Certification FAQs. What they're saying is that THEY do not regulate low speed scooters. They also state
NHTSA said:
NHTSA does not define the terms “motor scooter,” “moped,” “pocket bike,” “mini-chopper,” “mini-ninja,” or any other terms of this nature that may be used for the purpose of marketing motorcycles and motor driven cycles. Those terms therefore have no relevance to the classification of a vehicle for the purpose of determining which FMVSS would apply to it. Note that States are free to regulate the use of such vehicles and may use their own terms when describing vehicle types for the purpose of their regulations.
(my underlining)

Last edited:
Back