Felt V-10 4 Stroke

Hey MBc, Just joined and posted an intro message in the introduce yourself forum. I wanted to post pic's of my motorbike here in the main forum for all to see.

This is a 2007 Felt Cruiser V-10 with a Honda GXH50 4-stroke. The rear wheel is a 24" and the front is a 26 ". The frame is steel, not cro-mo, which makes for a smooth riding, vibrationless ride that has lots of momentum. I chose the bike because it had all the parts i wanted, stock, and my buddy is Felt rep:cool: Curb weight as shown is about 50lbs. Built in May 2007.

I'm about 6' with long arms and the stock setup was too short for me so i replaced the saddle with a bannana seat that nailed the riding position, i mean, it corners great and feels like an old sportster. I replaced the metal tank clamps with leather straps which work good, dont scratch the tank and add to the vintage cruiser thing. Coaster brake only, im on my 2nd axle and 3rd repack in 2 months.

The 4 stroke motor fit perfectly within the triange without mods, but the stock rear rim being 3" wide and the coaster brake made me grind out the rear sprocket ID a bit and I added lawnmower gaskets as spacers between the sproket and the spokes, and dished the wheel right to get the motor chain line correct. The wheel doesnt fit dead center in the rear triangle, but i dont notice when im rippin' it!!

The 4 stroke motor has an extremely clean exhaust, but the gearbox is loud, I wear a full helmet just to dampen the gearbox noise. The motor dogs down going uphill and i pedal start the thing since my bike is so heavy. I wish i had 100cc's but i guess that would require licence / registration etc.

There are currently no motor mods, but I would like to add a better air intake and carb..any suggestions? Also my motor has developed a tick that i think is related to the valve timing. the motor is currently on my workbench awaiting the service manual so i can tear into it and hopefully fix that as it reduced the power by about 15%.

Thats it for now, check out the pics and let me know if you have carb / motor tick suggestions.

Attachments

• DSC01319.JPG
    DSC01319.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 1,515
  • DSC01320.JPG
    DSC01320.JPG
    151 KB · Views: 1,608
  • DSC01326.JPG
    DSC01326.JPG
    153.8 KB · Views: 1,250
  • DSC01328.JPG
    DSC01328.JPG
    148.9 KB · Views: 879
  • DSC01322.JPG
    DSC01322.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 833
Mount the motor

Which motor did you order Mr. Steve?

The honda gxh50 and the huaysheng 50cc both have pre tapped holes in the bottom of the cast metal housing...so there is no need for you to do anything except drill your mounting plate and then screw on the motor:p

Take a look at my original message at the top of the thread with the pictures. the middle picture shows the honda gxh50 mounted to the plate and you can make out the bolts on the bottom of the motor

Poke around for the schematics of the motor you ordered on-line, that usually tells you where the mounting bolts are.

yeah i know that but im just using a 42 cc chainsaw engine. I have some taps so I can hopefully find a spot and tap some threads in there.

Steve,

you need to provide more information to recieve a real answer.

2 stroke or 4 stroke engine?
What manufacturer?
What year?
What is the model number?
Are you purchasing the motor new or used?
Are you purchasing the motor or getting it from your buddies shed?

you have the right ideas, just help us fill in the blanks.

e-mech

It is a 2 stroke craftsman chainsaw engine. I am currently looking at a 40 or 42cc. The motor is used and I am purchasing it and it starts easily and runs. The one is a 1998 and it is just an older version of this models:

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Lawn+Equipment&pid=07135088000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Chain+Saws&BV_SessionID=@@@@0165112934.1186511652@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekaddljhjhejecefecemldffidfko.0

or

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Power+Lawn+Equipment&pid=07135083000&vertical=LAWN&subcat=Chain+Saws&BV_SessionID=@@@@0165112934.1186511652@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccekaddljhjhejecefecemldffidfko.0

Its either a chainsaw engine or a new pocket bike replacement engine on ebay. It's a 49cc and comes with a clutch and sprocket and an aluminum pull start. That would probably be easier to mount but I don't know I think a chainsaw engine would perform better and last longer. I don't really trust those cheap chinese engines. A lot of pocket bikes break easily so what do you think?

nice work mr steve. let me look at them and i will get back with you in a bit.

Actually I just found out that the engine is 2.3cubic inches which is 37cc's. Think that that will still be enough to go about 35mph with a chain driven system? Or do I need to find a 40-42cc engine? Heres a picture:

c6c4_1.JPG

It also looks like that black box behind the drive shaft would give me trouble if i wanted to run the chain back to the rear tire. Unless I can somehow move it or run the chain around it. Otherwise I would have to mount it on the rear rack.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey earth mechanic what do you think? Think that 37cc chainsaw engine will be enough to get me to 35mph?

Chansaws for motors

Mr. Steve,

You have the right idea converting old motors that are not used into useable bike motors but i think you are going to hit a snag trying to mount the motor to the bike and especially the gearbox to the motor. all the horozontal mount motors (2 and 4 stroke) have corresponding gearboxes that have been designed to convert the rotational direction of the motor for use on the non-drive side of a bike. Meaning if you mount your chainsaw motor on the non-drive side, and dont also mount a gearbox to the motor, you will be propelling your bike backwards.

Looking at the price of the chainsaw motors, i recommend you purchase an inexpensive 2 stroke motor kit that has been designed for attachment onto a bicycle. I doubt if the chainsaw motors you linked me to have mounting bolts like the honda, huashuang, kings, or other bicycle motors. At best it looks like you may be able to fabricate a mount by using the tapped prongs originally designed for the plastic chainsaw casing.

If you do decide to move forward with your build, you might be best off trying to mount the chainsaw over the back wheel on a self fabbed mount that would actually place the motor spindle on the bicycle drive side, thus propelling the bicycle forward. This would mean you need to disassemble your pedal drive system. Although im not totally sure of the rotational direction of those chainsaws. Do you know?

Interesting problem Mr. Steve, thanks. Anyone else seeing something im not?

e-mech

Back