Fenders. what works, what doesn't.

G

gone_fishin

let's talk about this. before i built, i already knew about flat sheet-metal being susceptible to vibration & breakage, ie chainguards (both pedal & engine side) and flat-style fender-braces. broken fenders are a safety issue at the speeds we subject our bicycles to.

long story short, i finally decided on planet bike "freddy" fenders. coupla reasons...the flexible material merely "gives way" with contact, and recovers, & the round steel braces seem to hold up to vibration much better than a flat brace ever could.

planetbike has a great selection of these fenders, i guess you'd just find what you wanted, then find a seller that has it. sorry, can't remember where i got mine from, but total cost was $35 to my door. i have no problem highly recommending them, they're great.

http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html

I went to the PSU today to snap some pics of one of my bikes on their pristine lawns. A man immediately approached me, introduced himself, shook my hand & said, "I have one of these bikes & let me tell you what front fenders will do!" He proceded to tell me about his fender, breaking loose & absolutely destroyed his front rim. Luckily, he was able to stop in an upright position!! We discussed the fact that this was not the first time fenders have caused accidents...heck, this is twice in Pittsburg, Ks. alone!!

All I have to say is....Brace up those fenders, guys & gals.
Ride Safe!!
:D

500++ miles on my 60's Western Flyer fenders and chain guard and not a crack or loose bolt/screw. I used blue loctite on everything when I built it.

Bikeguy Joe said:
500++ miles on my 60's Western Flyer fenders and chain guard and not a crack or loose bolt/screw. I used blue loctite on everything when I built it.

the accidents caused by the fenders were due to broken brackets and cracked metal fenders.

augi's bike w/mud flapped Freddys.
1633_augi_bike_1.jpg

How is the spray control on wet or grit covered streets?

On my fenderless HT MTB the chain is grit filled after a 20 mile pedal ride here in SoCal near the coast. I loved riding motorcycles in the rain and look forward to doing it on a motored bike but w/o rain our road shoulders/bike paths are seriously grit/sand/dirt covered. My legs are dirt/sweat streaked after a ride on a hot day...Hate it!

augi, do you ever wish for these or does anyone here run these hokey big boys. :eek:

Honest opinions please. My point is to stay clean on 100 mile days. Style will be THE point/consideration of the next build.

1633_7027_1.jpg

both the engine and i are sand & rain free...i wouldn't ride without 'em :)

(i have a columbia full-rainsuit, very light & supple, but strong)

as far as the ones you pointed out, i'm sure it's similar coverage, so i bet they'd be a real nice add-on 8)

Do you think this pair of planet bike fenders will ft my bike? On Aqua's website, http://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html, they are the style, SpeedEZ ATB , I just ask since I really don't have a disk break on my bike (If that would effect me getting them installed.) I just want that style.

Back