fenders

Rusty_S85

Local time
1:27 AM
Well I got my fenders in today, little problem. Rear fender is too short it wont mount on my upper chain stay mount and reach the bottom bracket mount. Front fender the U bracket that slips around the fork is too tall so I cant mount it on my sprung fork on my springer as the bottom most hole puts the fender against the tire.

I hate to cut the rivets out and do something different as the fenders look good. So now I guess I am in the market again to find some chrome shorty fenders that will actually fit.

Right now I am thinking bolt the rear fender on at the bottom bracket then use a long bolt and bend the tab bracket up to the upper mount. Only logical thing I can think of but I don't know if I can get 2 to 3 inches worth of bend to get it to fit without spacers.

Last edited:
normal fender mount tabs won't take the vibration from these anyway, so just make some strong tabs for the fenders you like
Probably the best bet, it's true, you'll be replacing it anyway, if you honestly can't make it then find somebody who simply can.

You'll eventually have to get your hands dirty working on these things, accept it and don't try to purchase all the right parts, because you'll never find "right" until you've personally assured everything is completely sound, a quality you just won't find on the common market.

Until you decide to put motorcycle or dirt bike equipment on you're probably going to have to hand upgrade any part designed for a simple, plain bike.

normal fender mount tabs won't take the vibration from these anyway, so just make some strong tabs for the fenders you like

well I have to remove the front fender tabs as they are too tall and puts the fender into the tire. I cant mount the front fender on the main fork as my springer fork prevents the fender from passing under so the front fender has to mount to the sprung fork.

The rear fender I can use the rear tab built into the fender and see what I can do with the riveted one.

Probably the best bet, it's true, you'll be replacing it anyway, if you honestly can't make it then find somebody who simply can.

You'll eventually have to get your hands dirty working on these things, accept it and don't try to purchase all the right parts, because you'll never find "right" until you've personally assured everything is completely sound, a quality you just won't find on the common market.

Until you decide to put motorcycle or dirt bike equipment on you're probably going to have to hand upgrade any part designed for a simple, plain bike.

I don't mind fabricating and make something work ive already done some fabricating. I just don't know how to go about the fenders and making them look professionally done and not just simply thrown together by someone.

Might do that. I was going to do a plastic electronic project box as a unit to hide my CDI and my switch and some wiring in but just sitting the fender up like it should mount I have no room really behind the seat tube so I cant build a box I have to buy something already built and repurpose it. Hopefully I can get a plastic box that is big enough for what I want mock it up get it prepped then ill shoot it with some paint and clear to match the bike that way it doesn't look plastic.

But for the fenders I will have to do some reading on it and see what I can find online. Surely there are articles on fender modifications.

Might do that. I was going to do a plastic electronic project box as a unit to hide my CDI and my switch and some wiring in but just sitting the fender up like it should mount I have no room really behind the seat tube so I cant build a box I have to buy something already built and repurpose it. Hopefully I can get a plastic box that is big enough for what I want mock it up get it prepped then ill shoot it with some paint and clear to match the bike that way it doesn't look plastic.

But for the fenders I will have to do some reading on it and see what I can find online. Surely there are articles on fender modifications.
What can you hide under the seat? Have you considered some leather bound saddle bags? Plenty of hiding space in a pair.

What can you hide under the seat? Have you considered some leather bound saddle bags? Plenty of hiding space in a pair.

Honestly I was looking at running one of those leather bags that hang under the seat for storage since I don't have a storage box. The box I want to make now how ever is just to hide components out of view plus the box I'm looking at has a gasket seal that will keep water out. Just not sure if it would be smart to get one big enough to mount the voltage regulator/rectifier in there as well since it has a built in heat sink.

It would be nice to have one like the old harley tool boxes that attached under the seat stay. Something like that would keep in line with your old school theme.

Back