Fighting for a change...can you help me please..

400POUNDSTEVE

Local time
12:24 PM
I'm a 6'2 400 pound ft former althlete..I was trying to loose weight during quarantine..I ate two salads a day and lost 40 pounds but the weight loss stopped..and I only 5 pounds in the last two months ..I feel ok physically..I was walking ten miles a day ..because I wanted the weight off fast.. I did it' for a week n blew out my hip..my doctor thought I was insane for walking ten miles ..a day..I didnt feel like I was pushing my self ..it was only 7 out of 10 on my difficulty level....nonetheless my body gave out ..my doctor suggested riding a bike ..however riding the bike was a 10 out of ten in difficulty..and I had to shamefully walk the bike up steep hills..I then looked in pedal assist bikes electric and it was well over what I can afford..which is about 500$ if I forced it ..(yes I'm poor ..I know ..lol)..I'm also well over the weight limit...I then discovered motorized bikes ..with 130$ kits..I was wondering do you guys think it would work for me ..and I would love to know does if it has a pedal assist feature to help while I pedal..or does the pedaling only work with the engine off . Which would just leave me with a heavy bike..please any advice would help..

Last edited:
Steve, Welcome to MotoredBikes (y). I think you're asking for a little too much out of a little 66/80cc motor.
Maybe a YD100 would be better for you ?
Yes, You peddle with the engine off and peddle to start the engine

Yes 100cc. Amazon or Ebay . Also with you being a heavy guy.. I'd go with a 56 or 60 tooth sprocket.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Links to Amazon may include affiliate code. If you click on an Amazon link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Thanks your a miracle worker..can I pedal while its running ..will there be any resistance in the pedals ..I have a schwinn windwood cruiser I ran our of pedal on a flat road

can I pedal while its running <<< Sure, If you can keep up with the motor.
But you can't peddle that fast once you get going so let the motor do the work

thanks alot ...are those 100 cc..is there anything higher ? all i ever seen was the 80 cc and do you have prices or links
100cc = 76cc and 80cc =66cc just to clear that up. A 80cc will do just fine if your on level-ish ground. Make a few mods to give yourself some more power and it still will be well within your budget. You can pedal the bike all the time, even with the motor running. We call that ghost pedaling, if you see the po po you pedal and they don't notice you have a motor.

Here's a quick comparison of electric vs gas bikes.

Going electric you pay more upfront, but it doesn't really need maintenance and tools and they are so much more reliable and efficient. Electric is quiet so you can take it on trails too. Plus unlike your cruiser, you can shift gears to make peddling easier uphills. Gas bikes are also harder to peddle btw because of drive chain resistance.

People get gas bikes because they are faster than electric and its fun to work on and make it go faster, and its the cheapest mode of transportation that you can still keep up with traffic.

EDIT: Something that's gonna add to the cost of the gas bike. You have a cruiser so it probably has a coaster brake wheel right? Those don't handle the stress of the motor very well and break all the time. Get a steel freewheel instead with 12g spokes 2.125" width size or under, and 2 rim brakes.

Rough Cost Comparison

Electric bike
-$800

Gas bike
-$140 kit
-$40 freewheel
-$30 rim brakes
-$50 oil per year
-$75 tools
-$30 maintenance/repairing per year
×5 years
=$685

I don't think you could go wrong with either in your situation unless you absolutely can't afford the electric bike.

Last edited:
Back