Fighting the LAW.....Ohio

tinman

Local time
9:58 PM
Well I've been here a week and im hooked. While planning my MB I figured I'd join the revolution. I just sent my first letter to my state representative a few minutes ago. Let me know what you think so I can improve upon it before sending it the all of my state legislators. I'm willing to fight the good fight and actually enjoy it so any ideas or input from the group would help.

My letter:

Hello Dennis, I'll be as quick and to the point as I can. There is a mode of transportation that is inexpensive, cheap to operate(200+ MPG) but are considered illegal in Ohio by the current written laws. They are "power assisted bicycles". A small gas engine that mounts to the bicycle to help in the peddling process. They fit almost any stansard bicycle. As current law is written these are now considered illegal unregisterable MOPEDS, they are far from that though.

These kits by Federal guidlines are legal and legal in many other states incuding California to the latest state of Arizona who just legalized them. These can be of great benifit to many ohioans who cant afford or do not need a automobile.

We need to make these bicycles legal. They are not toys. I would be happy to provide you with any information needed to gain your support on this issue. With the poor economy, high costs of gas and deminishing quality jobs this mode of transpotation could be invaluable to many people including myself.

Thank you for your time.

tinman -- I think this letter to your rep - Dennis -- is done very well. One thing noted - when sending letters to goverment officals - even if we know them well - should at most times - have their full names with title - example - not started with Dennis -- if your letter is passed on from Dennis to others -- full title - best.. One question for you --- how far away are you from your rep - Dennis ? If you can make the trip -- maybe adding something like this to your letter... I would like to bring a MB to the capital of our state so that you and any others who are interested in this matter -- may enjoy a ride.. If all of this is a go - I would hope that you take a quiet - 20 to 25 mph MB with you --- if you called the local news a few days in advance -- they would be there.. Happy Riding from - Mountainman

Mountainman, Thanks for the review. Normally i would have titled the letter differently but in this case i didn't because it was a direct email with an auto title on the page. As far as his location to me his main district office is about 3 miles away ~wink~. I also agree the smallest quietest and least offensive looking kit would be the best option for a demo. I was thinking of ine of the front wheel mounted versions might be the best. to me they take away the motorcyle and moped look which would greatly help IMHO. My next step is to find someone close who has one i could use so i dont have to pony up and buy one. I;m looking at different styles for myself. This is really more then a forum now its becoming an orgonization of a grass roots movement. There IS power in numbers especially when having to do with anything political. The best way to keep moving forward it to continue growing, spreading the word and scream loud for what we want. The pen(or emails) can be very vocal. Politically speaking for every 1 letter written it statisticly equates to 750 people who feel the same way. So few people actually write or call thies reps or senators that they use that figure as a guideline. So if 10 people call or write it becomes a serious issue to them because that meens 7,500 of thier voters feel the same way. Everyne needs to start6 screaming by sending or writing. Lets make them take us seriously.

tinman -- sounds good.. Planning yes - planning... I think that there will be many here on this site -- so as to help you with said project.. Just an idea -- with your meeting with Dennis and the news (I have learned that our goverment officals - at most times - wish to know in advance) if any news people are coming with us.. I have been in the news here - tv, newspapers ect. many, many, many times -- can be much fun and can also be VERY STRESSFUL !!! See what others think -- maybe presenting two or three other states laws to Dennis -- which are MB friendly - asking if your state may follow suit ?? I would wait at this time -- gather information -- plan for the best results from any meeting -- it may be the last meeting - for a long time... Happy Riding from - Mountainman

One thing that I would do is to stress every difference between motor assisted bicycles and mopeds. If we don't make that clear, then they'll be content to classify them as mopeds and we're stuck in the same spot we are now.

We probably have to insist that these are not mopeds.

Hello Dennis, I'll be as quick and to the point as I can. There is a mode of transportation that is inexpensive, cheap to operate (200+ MPG) but are considered [is considered] illegal in Ohio by the current written laws. They are "power assisted bicycles". [period inside quote marks] A small gas engine that mounts to the bicycle to help in the peddling process.[not a sentence...use this -->It is a regular bicycle with a small gas engine mounted to help in the peddling process.] They fit almost any stansard [standard] bicycle. As current law is written[,] these are now considered illegal unregisterable MOPEDS[period, no comma] they are far from that though [instead of last sentence -->However, they are not mopeds.]

These kits by Federal guidlines [guidelines] are legal and legal in many other states incuding [including] California to the latest state of Arizona who [instead of 'who' -->which] just legalized them. These can be of great benifit [benefit] to many ohioans [Ohioans]who cant [instead of informal 'can't -->cannot]afford or do not need a [an]automobile.

We need to make these bicycles legal. They are not toys. I would be happy to provide you with any information needed to gain your support on this issue. With the poor economy, high costs of gas and deminishing [diminishing] quality jobs [,] this mode of transpotation [transportation] could be invaluable to many people including myself.

Thank you for your time.
Changes are in brackets. Hope you don't mind. It's a good letter.

Umeboshi うめぼし

Last edited:
My friend, that is not fighting the law. That is working within it...and it is also the way things get done. Great idea.

A small, 4-cycle EPA/CARBII approved motor, and a rack mount. That keeps the bicycle looking like a bicycle.

Stress that these ARE bicycles. But, the helper motor allows "Joe Public" riders to actually USE a bicycle to commute. (those of us who are overweight, those with bad knees, or maybe a health condition, etc.)

Stress that they are NOT Mopeds. Mopeds are designed from the start as a motor vehicle, with the peddles only useful for emergency use.

Push the low gas usage, and the EPA/CARBII approval.

Stress the removal of autos from congested streets whenever a rider on on a bike.

Stress the patriotism in helping reduce the oil-driven foreign trade imbalance.

IMO, the distinguishing factor between a moped and a motorized bicycle, in addition to the fact that a MB has had a motor added to a standard bicycle, is that motorized bicycle with a single gear ratio which cruises at 25 MPH has insufficient power to climb many grades without peddling, which any true motor vehicle CAN do.

Last edited:
My letter will be a combination of all the above posts. Goods points made.

Once they figure out how to regulate these bikes and charge you $$$, these bikes will find acceptance. Just like mopeds did. Not maybe, it WILL happen.

New regulations may help to preserve MB'S.

Hey Tinman,

I found a loophole. :D

Ohio law states :

4501-23-19 Assembly by person other than manufacturer.

Nothing in these rules and regulations shall prohibit a person other than a manufacturer from constructing, assembling, or equipping a vehicle so as to conform to the specifications of a motorized bicycle. Such person shall, however, comply with all of the rules contained in Chapter 4501-23 of the Administrative Code to the same extent as is necessary of a manufacturer.

R.C. 119.032 review dates: 09/12/2006 and 03/09/2011

Promulgated Under: 119.03

Statutory Authority: R.C. 4511.521

Rule Amplifies: R.C. 4511.521

Prior Effective Dates: 4/1/78

In other words, Make that MB a moped. Lighting- front a rear, brake light, horn, chain guard, mirror, etc. And when ready, take it in for enhanced inspection. They give you a VIN, get some insurance, register it, and you are legal. Talk to someone with some knowledge at the state, to make sure you're doing it right.
There's a "Going Legal In Pa" thread you should check out. Similar situation here.

Back