Sprockets Filing down the drive sprocket?!

Sprocket

Hey Van. Yes you can narrow the teeth. Carefull not to SHORTEN them though. You will need the length of each tooth. Carefully grind on both sides evenly. I have done this to make BMX chain work. It works, just leave enough material so that the chain rests on the original center of your sprocket. You will be tempted to shorten, but don't do it. Just keep narrowing til the chain rests down without binding. If you go to a wider chain you will add weight & it will have play on your rear sprocket 420 will still work.

Van,if u are going to grind (unless u know better) i would do some homework on tempered sprockets and how excessive grinding heat might remove the temper.
IF that applies in your situation u may need to think about retempering the sprocket........dunno.
My ONLY experience with grinding sprockets is taking-off the absolute minimum necessary from a small job,yours sounds much larger.

Teeth dilema

Hi I ordered all my kits to fit NORMAL bike chain, and got a few of the other type(415 or so). They are a pain, and I complained bitterly, ordered small ones, and replaced them.

I have ground the sprockets down, a real pain! Talk to your importers where it is legal (NON USA) and ask them to order the smaller 10 tooth, plain old bike chain is Plenty strong. I have ridden many of these and I'm a heavy rider.

I have found grinding most sucessful by using a Dremel type tool, with a diamond drum, shaving the square tips off of the teeth, BUT you will also find that the inner "rings" of the sprocket will not allow the chian to seat correctly, especially on the master link, if it is not dog-boned.

SOOOO now you need to relieve that area also, again, the diamond is the best.

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Mike

What I get from Zomby Is that a 420 will work, but there are some downsides. Weight will not be an issue. I can accept some additional wear on the rear sprocket. If that's all I'm lookin' at, I'll pass on using the grinder and just get some 420 chain.
Thanks guys,
Van

Back