Filler necks and caps

Sgt. Howard

Local time
3:34 AM
Where does one find a cheap source for filler necks and gas caps if you are building your own tank? And no, I am not interested in cutting the one off a peanut tank... I had a source for these at one time and managed to lose it.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Have now fabricated the parts to make a left gas tank that will fit a Worksman and is modeled after the 1912 Harley Tank- came across a book in the local library where one of the Davidson Boys described the process in detail. Next I will see how well I can braze- I have also convinced my wife that an English wheel and a reducing tool would come in handy in the shop. It occurs to me that the 'Fat Bob' tank design can be modified to fit a Huffy or Schwinn cruiser- these are 'straddle tanks' much like the 1912 in that there is a left and right tank. Run one tank dry, run the other home. Is there a legal limit as to how much fuel one of these bikes are allowed to carry? Here in Okanogan, nobody cares... but other areas might have other ideas. Also- considering the purchase of a straight-top Worksman, so I can try my hand at the 1911 tanks.

... well... got everything together to do the brazing... or so I thought. Put on the cheap readers underneath the goggles so I can see what I am doing, only to find out they are a bit out of date (or actually, they are old enough that they are no longer close to my current reading prescription). As my current bifocals offer me the tiniest window to see through when encased in the goggles, I then went to dollar tree to purchase stronger readers- the best they offer is 3.25... my 'near' prescription is close to 4.0. I go to the optometrist and explain the situation- new cheaters will be next Monday-at $38- (sigh). I suppose I could use the old ones... but my arms are too short...

BTW- my new avatar is from my days as a Civil War re-enactor- not a political statement. If Yankees have nothing to shoot at, you don't have much of a war.

Back