Finally got out of the neighborhood with Predator 212cc stock on Meridian trike.

I just rebuilt the wheels on my '69 Honda C-102 with new 17" X 1.3" aluminum rims and 10 gauge stainless steel spokes. made a big difference in how my old moto rides now. But it cost nearly $200 in rims and spokes.

I would expect these rims and spokes laced to strong enough hubs and better set of axles, to be sufficient for a light powered trike. Like a 1 K-watt E power or 1.5 h.p IC engine geared to run at about 16 mph tops. 10 gauge spokes are 3.2 mm thick compared to 14 gauge at 2mm.

I wonder if utilizing a GoKart Live Axle Kit (1" shaft, pillow-block bearings) and a pair of mag wheels with their centers drilled and keyed to the axle....?

As an aside, a friend threw a Briggs 3hp on a similar trike with a centrifugal clutch and a 9>1 ratio.... what a thrilling ride, to say the least. I couldn't imagine a 212 on it.
Oh yeah this seems like a heavy duty trike but at over 40mph it follows the road's wallows too much to let me "older" body push it any further, plus I'm usually dressed like a squid when I decide to do these runs. Interestingly, sending the 18 speed over 30 yo frame going 36mph via 3k watt hub feels more "solid" since the road "character" isn't felt at all.

Ain't she a beaut' 😜
1620192623208.png

I just rebuilt the wheels on my '69 Honda C-102 with new 17" X 1.3" aluminum rims and 10 gauge stainless steel spokes. made a big difference in how my old moto rides now. But it cost nearly $200 in rims and spokes.

I would expect these rims and spokes laced to strong enough hubs and better set of axles, to be sufficient for a light powered trike. Like a 1 K-watt E power or 1.5 h.p IC engine geared to run at about 16 mph tops. 10 gauge spokes are 3.2 mm thick compared to 14 gauge at 2mm.
Agreed, its never a bad idea overbuild. My excursion are always "feathered" in and I gear up when doing questionable runs. I'm in the quest for 50+mph now with the 3k hub since its only getting me to 36 right now.

2nd project on a much better platform. 37mph top speed. I'm guessing the sabvoton is limiting me.
3rd project PPG motor has been waiting for some bits.

1620775718556.png

I Guess Wolv couldn't afford the Fat Tire E Wheel
Damn cheap bastard... oh 5hit that's me... hey

I'm guessing it'll cheaper to lace in the hub to the original rear. Now I just need to figure what size spokes I need. C'mon, brain werk!

I own a Schwinn Meridian with the 26" wheels and with a Staton, Inc. kit with a Honda 1.5 hp engine. The 2 factory Schwinn trike weak links are the rear axle which has been commonly known to break on either side where it has been machined down from 17mm diameter to about 13mm. They eventually fatigue and break at the wheel hub, this is before adding any motor, just as a peddle bike. The next issue is the stock single wall alloy wheels and very light duty hub. The fixes are to get a Husky full length 17mm axle, (a direct bolt in, no mods needed). Also, I had Husky build me 2 rear 26" x 2.125 double wall alloy wheels with 11 gauge spokes and large flange hubs that have enough surface to bolt a sprocket onto if you're going that route. When trikes break axles at any speed they violently throw their riders unexpectantly and broken bones or worse is the result. Having my Motorized trike for a couple years now and I'm ready for more power but going with a larger Honda or Huasheng that will bolt up to the Staton transmission. Stay safe! Build them safe!

I own a Schwinn Meridian with the 26" wheels and with a Staton, Inc. kit with a Honda 1.5 hp engine. The 2 factory Schwinn trike weak links are the rear axle which has been commonly known to break on either side where it has been machined down from 17mm diameter to about 13mm. They eventually fatigue and break at the wheel hub, this is before adding any motor, just as a peddle bike. The next issue is the stock single wall alloy wheels and very light duty hub. The fixes are to get a Husky full length 17mm axle, (a direct bolt in, no mods needed). Also, I had Husky build me 2 rear 26" x 2.125 double wall alloy wheels with 11 gauge spokes and large flange hubs that have enough surface to bolt a sprocket onto if you're going that route. When trikes break axles at any speed they violently throw their riders unexpectantly and broken bones or worse is the result. Having my Motorized trike for a couple years now and I'm ready for more power but going with a larger Honda or Huasheng that will bolt up to the Staton transmission. Stay safe! Build them safe!
Sadly, I assumed such a tried and true trike would not be hard to build on. There are a few Meridian trike YT's using the 212cc motor but I haven't had the same success they have had. I'm sure you've seen my progress and it hasn't been a shot in the dark of this system. Some can't handle the 212 thumper rocking its world that damn thing is a jack hammer and if your bits tidied up for it she'll tell you in the next 20 minutes as she pulls throw blocks and welds and keys with ease and goes on to to spokes as jokes and makes me grin NON! She's a beast and I know she can be tamed within this structure. Yes, I'm around 200lbs but most American's are over that sadly but this has been seen fine otherwise on YT so that's where I'm trying to back to now.

2nd project on a much better platform. 37mph top speed. I'm guessing the sabvoton is limiting me.
3rd project PPG motor has been waiting for some bits.

View attachment 105173
Might want to get some braces to go down from that particular rear rack mate.
I used the same one when i first made my ebike, and it just broke at the weld going to the seat post.

There are some arms for that i thunk or can fabricate somerthing but for sure....get ya some bars going down to the frame.

Ride Safe! :cool:

HP

Back