7:23 PM
755E204D-5C72-4740-A9FB-F324BF01D5CD.jpeg
46F2BDFF-848C-4FA3-8A84-1769C553A0DF.jpeg
D33D9117-0DE5-44FA-8D37-3853F79FE801.jpeg
F0BF9F86-3EC3-4263-BF9B-65A0F0C7F8F1.jpeg
3F1AB324-3B46-497D-954E-436D1E5BBAE0.jpeg
C24FEE51-3282-408C-8CDD-ED35063436CB.jpeg
02E63D14-D748-4CDA-85AF-3D497C339418.jpeg
Finally got the Mack Mag rollin! Pretty tight fit with the high comp head so I figured out a great, cheap, and easy way to extend the intake. I use a length of radiator hose and wrapped the connection very tightly with EZ fuse tape. This stuff is really excellent stuff and can resist temps up to 500 degrees so it’s perfect for lots of motor bike applications. It created a completely leak proof seal on each end of the extended intake with only 9 inches of the tape each. I wrapped it super tight and then used a zip tie just to keep it in place while it sets for 24 hours. The reason I posted a few photos of the carb is because I cannot figure out how to stabilize/attach the newly extended carb to the bike? I have some temporary Velcro holding it against the seatpost for now but was looking for suggestions!? I have an MZ 65 pipe ordered and on the way and I’m currently looking at a nice banana seat to drop my but down a little lower and back some since it feels like I’m sitting so high on the bike. And lastly does anyone have any suggestions on how to rearrange my handlebar situation? The left side with the clutch isn’t an issue reaching the clutch pad over the shifters but my right side with the throttle and double brake lever is a real stretch to get it to stop and makes me uncomfortable trying to reach for the lever especially at higher speeds. I tend to twist the throttle when stretching for the brake lever and it feels unsafe ha. Thanks in advance!
BE2CD6D3-83B2-4BC8-9395-70D51CDE7E5D.jpeg
A06CF0D7-6871-4EE2-BC4E-44D17939B3F6.jpeg
B6633D78-6CA0-4F1D-B079-9A23AC0F1A11.jpeg

Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the idea of the self fusing tape. I have a lot of sticky residue from the electrical insulation tape on my bike lol. :)

Carb: when you tie one cylinder/ convex shape against another it tends to wiggle and rock, so you might make something to fit between the two which will stop that. It could be hot melt glue pumped straight into the space while the carb is in position, or it could be epoxy putty or even liquid epoxy held in shape by some electrical insulation tape.

Handlebars: I think it was @crassius who posted a photo recently in the thread about gears on a mountain bike build of a stub thing that fits to the bars and can be used to mount a gripshifter at right angles to the bar. I would probably try a SRAM trigger shifter, where the up and down levers are both operated by the thumb (as opposed to the Shimano ones that are thumbnail and index finger).
You could also try just putting the gripshifter inboard of the brake, for now. :)

Edit: bloody autocorrect never lets me spell Shimano. Or autocorrect.

Last edited:
Looks like it's coming along nicely. I like the idea of the self fusing tape. I have a lot of sticky residue from the electrical insulation tape on my bike lol. :)

Carb: when you tie one cylinder/ convex shape against another it tends to wiggle and rock, so you might make something to fit between the two which will stop that. It could be hot melt glue pumped straight into the space while the carb is in position, or it could be epoxy putty or even liquid epoxy held in shape by some electrical insulation tape.

Handlebars: I think it was @crassius who posted a photo recently in the thread about gears on a mountain bike build of a stub thing that fits to the bars and can be used to mount a gripshifter at right angles to the bar. I would probably try a SRAM trigger shifter, where the up and down levers are both operated by the thumb (as opposed to the Shipman of ones that are thumbnail and index finger).
You could also try just putting the gripshifter inboard of the brake, for now. :)
Good idea on the handlebars! I’ll check into those options! And as far the carb suggestion are you talking about gluing the intake to the seatpost? Also while I’ve got you I figured I would ask. As I add higher performance parts do I want to be jetting higher or lower? Say if I add an MZ 65 pipe will I want to jet higher(richer) into the 70’s or lower(leaner) into the 60’s, assuming the stock jet in the NT is a size 70?

Last edited:
for the bars, I used those curved extensions that the spandex guys use - I just cut the curve off

Good idea on the handlebars! I’ll check into those options! And as far the carb suggestion are you talking about gluing the intake to the seatpost? Also while I’ve got you I figured I would ask. As I add higher performance parts do I want to be jetting higher or lower? Say if I add an MZ 65 pipe will I want to jet higher(richer) into the 70’s or lower(leaner) into the 60’s, assuming the stock jet in the NT is a size 70?
No I don't mean to glue it on, the hot melt glue would have a very low adhesion to the cold, smooth powder coated frame and the metal of the carb, but it would mould into the shape of the space between the two convex surfaces, so when you use the cable tie to secure the carb there will be no rocking and wobbling. I have a plastic adapter for my plastic air filter so I was able to use a knife to make the appropriate shape to fit against my seat tube, but I did use hot melt glue for steadying a few other bits including the tachometer.

High performance is just a marketing term, utterly meaningless lol, but I believe @gary55 mentioned that the tuned pipe has a leaning effect so you would need a larger jet, assuming the stock jet is correct. But the stock jet is probably a bit larger than it needs to be with the stock exhaust (and that's good for the break-in stage), so you never really know until you try it.

Also for the gear shifters, I find that I like having the rear gripshifter on the left, because I don't want to have to let go of the throttle at all, and I am twisting the throttle back with my right hand to go faster, so it should be natural to twist the left hand gripshifter the same direction to stay in the correct gear.
I actually ended up putting a gripshifter (inverted) on the left side for the rear gears and also a thumb shifter for the front gears on the same side. So at the very least I would say switch your shifters around and have rear gears on the left, inverted.

If you decide to try the sawn off bar end, be aware that of the few bar ends that have a round cross section, most of them have a larger diameter than your handlebars, probably 25mm instead of the 22.2mm that you need to fit a gear shifter. Those that are 22.2mm are nearly all old stock/used early steel ones. When you see bar ends advertised as 22.2mm they are nearly always just referring to the handlebars that the bar end is made to clamp onto, not the diameter of the grip section of the bar ends themselves.

Last edited:
I am bike4life, just at school and forgot login credentials as they are auto-saved at home.
Why did you remove the rear disc brakes ? I have a similar mongoose bike w/ disc brakes and you just have to extend the disc brake over 1/2" with some steel plate and then extend the actual wheel over 1/2" with 4 washers stacked.

Do you by chance have a picture of what you’re talking about?
He means mountain bike bar ends. I guess they were first popular with cross country mountain bikers, uphill cyclists did wear spandex before the invention of lycra but then it is useful stuff if you don't want to chafe to death lol.
Crassius posted these photos:
https://motoredbikes.com/threads/can-you-still-use-your-shifters.52886/#post-463742

Here's my picture of some mtb bar ends, including a pair of rather rarer alloy 22.2mm bar ends. This narrow diameter is usually (not always) steel, and old, since the larger diameter is much more comfortable.
_20180611_140247.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! The bike is running great so far took it out on the maiden voyage today! First bike I’ve built with absolutely zero vibration at all RPM ranges. I’m still with the stock jet, which feels rich and four strokes, and did have to move the c clip to the highest notch since it was running really rich. That brings me to my question... at idle with the clutch pulled I can rev the bike and it’ll rev up and return to idle normally just like before, however while I’m riding if I pull the clutch to coast or whatever the bike takes longer than normal to returun to idle... what is causing this? The rpms seem to hang for a bit and then eventually return to the idle rpm... does this have to do with the extended intake by chance? This engine was actually broken in on another bike and the carb was placed normally on the intake manifold so this is my first experience with an extended intake. Just curious if anyone knew what might cause this? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back