Tubes Fire Hose tyre liner.

I bought a WalMart Mongoose Paver off of Craigslist for $60. When I saw it it was practally brand new. Rode it, rims needed trued and tires needed some air but there was enough to test it out.

I got it home and inflated the back tire to the proper pressure then started on the front. I felt the bike shift and a *pop* kinda sound. Looked back to see the tire completely off the rim and the tube buldging. Then I noticed the front starting to do the same! I was letting pressure off the front when BANG!! the back tire blew, bending the rim badly. I got ahold of Mongoose and told them what had happened. She sounded like she'd heard it before and sent me two new tires and tubes and a new back rim!!

When they arrived I noticed right off that they had improved the design with a steel bead wire instead of fabric but when I went to put air in them they also started to come off the rim! Dismayed, I went to checking what was wrong. And what it was is they tried to cut corners and expenses by undersizing the rims, you can tell by the way the brake pads are adjusted to the limit of the adjusting slot.

To solve the problem I went looking for a better tire and on eBay I found Duro Tires. They called them "bullet-proof" due to the polyethelene band running right under the tread. This band not only prevents punctures but prevents the tire from expanding radially. The sidewalls have what they call a "flak-jacket". It's a very tough fabric of some sort that not only protects the sidewall but is reflectorized. I also added a gold and black liner, can't remember the product name and Slimed the tube.

I live on a road that has goathead weed that grows along the road and I've had no punctures at all :)

Huh....I had a similar situation with a Mongoose wheel and tire....split the rim off even. Never thought to ask for a new one. :poop:

Back