Hi I'm getting ready to build my first bike for me and my son in Michigan this will be his Christmas gift. I need some good insight I've read many post. I've found good bikes at Walmart if you know better I'm listening, now it's time to ask the experts. I would like to use a centrifugal cluth engine something that runs without holding a clutch or paddle start, something that will only go roughly 25 mph I believe 49cc I don't my kid to get hurt I just want good traffic flow. Where can I find the proper lights from headlight turn signals and brake lights. I will be registering this bike with the Michigan Secretary of State to have it plated with a moped sticker so it must have the bells and whistles ok. I would like to build a nice bike I'm not cheap but i am not looking to spend thousands of dollars on this first one. Everything you all tell me or post I am going to take seriously also should I use hand brakes, disc brakes or paddle brakes. thanks appreciate you all that answer. Please leave any information below or inbox me I'm ready to have some fun thanks.

Picture is example bike I wouldn't mind building if I can get right lights on to pass inspection.

Attachments

• Brown Schwinn bike.jpg
    Brown Schwinn bike.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 615
  • Brown Schwinn bike.jpg
    Brown Schwinn bike.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 195
Pretty sure the only centrifugal-clutch engines are 4-strokes, like the 49cc HuaSheng that you can get almost anywhere. If you get it from GruBee it comes with a very nice belt drive that won't fail like the chain-drive units from Bikeberry, etc. More expensive but worth it.

Don't rely on a coaster as your only brake. Upgrade to hub brakes (disc or drum) or rim brakes. Besides being able to actually stop the bike, cable-operated brakes let you run a brake light using an ATV brake-light switch.

12V lights are available on ebay or amazon, look for motorcycle lights rather than bicycle lights. Then all you need is a small 12V battery that you recharge after every ride.

Check your local bike shop before buying from Wally World. Walmart bikes are cheap for a reason, and sometimes that reason is that the frames are made from thin tubing, badly welded. Also you'll get some decent advice there.

These things are a hell of a lot of fun, once you get everything dialed in.

Pretty sure the only centrifugal-clutch engines are 4-strokes, like the 49cc HuaSheng that you can get almost anywhere. If you get it from GruBee it comes with a very nice belt drive that won't fail like the chain-drive units from Bikeberry, etc. More expensive but worth it.

Don't rely on a coaster as your only brake. Upgrade to hub brakes (disc or drum) or rim brakes. Besides being able to actually stop the bike, cable-operated brakes let you run a brake light using an ATV brake-light switch.

12V lights are available on ebay or amazon, look for motorcycle lights rather than bicycle lights. Then all you need is a small 12V battery that you recharge after every ride.

Check your local bike shop before buying from Wally World. Walmart bikes are cheap for a reason, and sometimes that reason is that the frames are made from thin tubing, badly welded. Also you'll get some decent advice there.

These things are a hell of a lot of fun, once you get everything dialed in.

thanks ill look into all this.

- The HS-142F kits are very reliable and use the centrifugal clutch; I have had 3k miles+. They will cruise at 25 easy and max out at 30-35 mph depending on rider weight on a flat road, no wind. ($200-300)
- Controversial, but brakes also rely on your riding style. If you are going max speed into uncontrolled intersections with blind spots then you will need disc brakes at minimum but if your speed is more sane in these tenable situations rim brakes are fine
- Walmart bikes are fine imo but the stock rear sprocket assembly causes a lot of problems for these wheels. You can avoid this issue by either doing the best sprocket assembling in the history of man or just buy a sprocket adapter ($30-50) or better yet a SBP jackshaft kit ($200?) if you have a multispeed rear cassette
- The clutch and clutch bell on these kits are the wrong size imo and will cause a lot of clutch spring pops. I know this because I switched the stock clutch bell to a pocket bike clutch bell (.100-.200 smaller) and I have had no pops or problems. Other option is to buy a premium clutch from staton inc ($50) and use the stock clutch bell
- The chain tensioner on these kits is trash and needs reinforcements or replace it with a premium one
- Get good tires to replace the walmart ones or insert tire liners ($10-20) and sealant tube ($7-10 per tube). Nothing worse than getting a flat miles from home and having to remove two chains (if you even brought the right tools) to fix a flat (many YouTube videos and reviews on tires). Also, get road tires and you will get +1-2 mph than a knobby mountain bike tire

- The HS-142F kits are very reliable and use the centrifugal clutch; I have had 3k miles+. They will cruise at 25 easy and max out at 30-35 mph depending on rider weight on a flat road, no wind. ($200-300)
- Controversial, but brakes also rely on your riding style. If you are going max speed into uncontrolled intersections with blind spots then you will need disc brakes at minimum but if your speed is more sane in these tenable situations rim brakes are fine
- Walmart bikes are fine imo but the stock rear sprocket assembly causes a lot of problems for these wheels. You can avoid this issue by either doing the best sprocket assembling in the history of man or just buy a sprocket adapter ($30-50) or better yet a SBP jackshaft kit ($200?) if you have a multispeed rear cassette
- The clutch and clutch bell on these kits are the wrong size imo and will cause a lot of clutch spring pops. I know this because I switched the stock clutch bell to a pocket bike clutch bell (.100-.200 smaller) and I have had no pops or problems. Other option is to buy a premium clutch from staton inc ($50) and use the stock clutch bell
- The chain tensioner on these kits is trash and needs reinforcements or replace it with a premium one
- Get good tires to replace the walmart ones or insert tire liners ($10-20) and sealant tube ($7-10 per tube). Nothing worse than getting a flat miles from home and having to remove two chains (if you even brought the right tools) to fix a flat (many YouTube videos and reviews on tires). Also, get road tires and you will get +1-2 mph than a knobby mountain bike tire
Wat about mounting sprocket to disc hubs is this the best way and wat I nd of problems

Back