First Build Finished Just in Time For Winter...

I've wanted to get a Beetle for a long time. I had several, great, tough little cars. Easy to work on once you get past the motor in the rear.

Around here, a wreck of one is a few grand and a nice one is over 10 K. Nope, not buying a money pit unless I find a spare several grand to buy one that has been done up.
Yeah, they aren't cheap anymore. An older guy here in town has a 71 sitting in a field I've tried buying a few times. Every he says he'll sell it in a month or two.

A bit off topic Mr Enderby. Hope you don't mind.
Used to scribe a line about 2 inches around the fenders, cut them off with a jig saw, raise the rear torsion bars up one notch, put large tires on the back and call it a Baja Bug. Cheap, go anywhere fun.
Don't bother me at all. But if you guys start telling me to put beetle engines on my bicycle I'm gonna need some help 🤔

Went for another good ride today. Decided to push it a little harder this time and did about 2 to 3 kms of straight up a decent hill with 1/2 to full throttle depending how steep it got and she flew up there. No issues. Let it coast down the hill before I fired it back up. That expansion chamber is just incredible how much torque it gives this little engine.

When I got home I noticed that the chain has been rubbing on the back of the frame near the rear sprocket. Looking at it I think the chain bouncing up and down is causing it to rub because just sitting there the chain is about 1/4" away from where the rubbed out paint is and it's also higher than the chain. A smaller sprocket would probably help
20240105_133349.jpg
20240105_134154.jpg
20240105_133402.jpg

H
Went for another good ride today. Decided to push it a little harder this time and did about 2 to 3 kms of straight up a decent hill with 1/2 to full throttle depending how steep it got and she flew up there. No issues. Let it coast down the hill before I fired it back up. That expansion chamber is just incredible how much torque it gives this little engine.

When I got home I noticed that the chain has been rubbing on the back of the frame near the rear sprocket. Looking at it I think the chain bouncing up and down is causing it to rub because just sitting there the chain is about 1/4" away from where the rubbed out paint is and it's also higher than the chain. A smaller sprocket would probably help
View attachment 205508View attachment 205509View attachment 205510
My cranny did that before I removed the tensioner

A smaller sprocket would lower the chain where the frame is further away from the chain. I was just bragging about how fast I flew up that hill and a smaller sprocket might really hurt that hill performance. I'm wondering if I got the chain tighter if it would stop

View attachment 205508View attachment 205509View attachment 205510
Check your rear wheel alignment again.

Check your rear wheel alignment again.
I just finished messing with the rear wheel got it as centered as possible and added a washer to the axle on the engine chain side to move the frame further from the chain. I can push my chain up about 1 1/2" inches now so by straightening my wheel out I got more slack in the chain again 🤦‍♂️ I ordered one of those spring loaded tensioners since the one that came with my kit never road in line with my chain and was always putting pressure on the side of the chain. Painted the frame with a silver sharpie so it doesn't rust too. At least this hobby gives me little projects to do all the time 🤣

Back