First build need advice

Hey all I built my first bike over the past month, I'm building another over the weekend.

I'll go ahead and post some pictures but I have a question with some back story, as you can see from one of the pictures the head gasket was leaking and made the motor a mess so I bought some rtv silicone and made a gasket while I wait for a new gasket kit and doing that helped a lot. Next problem, the stock NT carb was garbage I live in Maine about 100 ft sea level and it would never run right or idle so I bought a HP carb that you can see in the pictures, now with the banana pipe and that carb I get an easy 40 mph with the 44 tooth sprocket.

My main question, I cant seem to get the new carb to idle lower it will rev to max with the clutch pulled in and it can and will ruin the motor if I don't shut it down. I know the slide is going down I sprayed the intake with ether and there are no leaks. There is one adjustment screw and that does nothing at all to the idle it seems like it adjust the fuel air mixture if I screw it out the bike will 4 stroke and when I have it in at the proper level the bike screams like it wants a beating. I really just cant figure out the idle issue and I don't want to wear my clutch out by riding that to keep rpm down to save my motor.

UPDATE: I just noticed when I installed the carb one of the studs got stripped because it was to long for the aftermarket intake I used. I fixed the threads and reinstalled the intake with rtv, waiting for it to dry before I restart the motor when I wake up before work. Will update if the motor still revs to high.

So I got the air leak to stop and now the bike doesn't Rev out of control but it's still revving high and it started 4 stroking.

Did you ever try tuning the NT before switching carbs? They're not garbage if they're mounted and tuned properly they are very reliable. Sometimes it just takes adjusting the idle screw or changing the clip position, sometimes it takes re-jetting.

Yeah I messed with the clip quite a few times found out the bowl in the carb was cracked it never ran right

Back