First build: Two stroke 80cc mountain bike with jackshaft

Hey guys! Glad to have found this place.

This week, I started my first build, a Wildcat PK80 with a Sick Bike Parts jackshaft kit. The base is a 1997 Gary Fisher Mamba that belonged to my mother...she was about to throw it out, but I saved it from this grisly fate to give it a second chance. Right now I'm waiting on the right size chain breaker to show up; in the meantime, I plan to hang out here and pick up whatever tips and tricks I can.

Eventual plan is to add a complete electrical system with headlight, brake light, speedo, and horn, possibly with a dynamo. The grip shifter dangling off there will most likely become a tank shifter.

90007303_2976289325782591_9214614564178493440_n.jpg

Get both of the chain tensioners! The motor side adds a 3rd bearing to the driveshaft. And hopefully you got the HD bearings. I might switch to a PK-80 motor for the low end torque. Use mounting plates for the U bolts to save frame!. I used elk leather to prevent scratching and gouging of aluminum frame. I would also do research on a reed kit for more low end power. You have enough room for it. Good luck, take your time, and have fun!

Last edited:
Welcome!! It looks like it should be a sweet build! Please keep this thread updated with pictures as you go.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Get both of the chain tensioners! The motor side adds a 3rd bearing to the driveshaft. And hopefully you got the HD bearings. I might switch to a PK-80 motor for the low end torque. Use mounting plates for the U bolts to save frame!. I used elk leather to prevent scratching and gouging of aluminum frame. I would also do research on a reed kit for more low end power. You have enough room for it. Good luck, take your time, and have fun!

Appreciate the suggestions. I did in fact get the HD kit. This is actually a steel frame so I'm not super worried about dinging it up, but I'll look into that. I'll also check out the reed kit.

Anyway, here's Day 2's progress. Still needs a little minor fitting up, and the twenty year old tires need to go, but it's starting to look like something that actually has a chance of running. The Kona in the background has been collecting dust for a while; I'd love to do something with it as well but I'm not sure what. (Full suspension with disc brakes; not much room for anything.) If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
IMG_20200326_192016.jpg

Last edited:
Back