First build video. What I have learned. Fat tire or mountain bike next?

Photojunky

Local time
6:10 AM
Having a blast building this bike. Still a project in the works.
Thinking of either a fat tire bike or mountain bike next for easy dirt trails. Suggestions, advice or warnings?

That makes sense because the chain on the above project only cleared by about one quarter of an inch. Didn't think I was going to make it. I had to cut off about one-third of the fender because that didn't clear either.

20170504_145608.jpg
I use a lot of mountain bikes

My next build l will be on a mountain bike. I need something that can take a beating. Maybe a large 4-stroke for dependability.

If you want fat rear tires 3" to 4":

Maybe stretch the rear triangle an inch or so for more clearance then build a jackshaft to offset the drive chain an inch or two left. You'll need two high quality seal bearings; a metal tube and a bracket to lock it to the seat tube; a stainless steel shaft minimum of 1/2" diameter; two quality sprockets 9 to 11 teeth; e-clips to lock the bearings into the shaft.

The chain runs much better in two short runs. You will not need a chain tensioner and the chain from the jackshaft to the rear sprocket is much more docile than a full length motor to sprocket configuration.

Well, I have 3in tires, my friend has beefy 4 inchers, no chain clearance problems with a jackshaft. Not sure if the hassle of offsetting the engine and all that is actually better than a shift kit, it's relatively simple and by far brings the riding experience to a great level.

Really the fat tire is meant to get you riding where you once couldn't because of traction, why stop there when you could add a full range of gears to make the bike basically unstoppable on any terrain?

Again, I can't really justify trying to rig up a direct drive to a fat tire in my mind, the parts needed to ensure safe operation may very well cost as much as a jackshaft, and so you'd be limiting yourself for the same price, and you'll probably make more work for yourself in the long run trying to keep it all aligned while dealing with an awkward sizzling hot motor a little too close to your left leg.

I am going to have to watch some youtube videos to completely understand what you guys are talking about. I am a beginner but am very mechanically inclined so I will get it eventually. I think I am going to sell the above bike and do one more simple kit with a mountain bike before I dive into a bigger project. Thanks for the replies.

I am going to have to watch some youtube videos to completely understand what you guys are talking about. I am a beginner but am very mechanically inclined so I will get it eventually. I think I am going to sell the above bike and do one more simple kit with a mountain bike before I dive into a bigger project. Thanks for the replies.
Ditch the huffy, go straight to bigger tires, remember you aren't really intending to pedal this thing much anyway, the standard tire size doesn't really fit in with the operation of a rather powerful motor compared to the human.

Perhaps consider going with a standard mountain bike if you are unsure if this hobby is something you'd really like to invest time and money into. If you can be patient with numerous ongoing pain in the ass engine problems and just enjoy bicycles that much and are mechanically capable of fixing problems, then feel free to fall off the turnip truck at the corner of happy time and hell.

Still seems universally the fat tire bike has an overall smoother feel and better control on all terrain. Since you dont have to pedal until you have a stroke the extra size and weight of the frame and wheels are of minimal concern and since the design of the bike is so that you already have a fully functioning chain from the middle of the bike to the rear wheel it gives you a great opportunity to just upgrade the entire riding experience right from the get go. Then you don't have to feel like you should have just spent all the time and money right on the better option right away.

You still have to deal with the happy time motor regardless, so if you are feeling eager just go all out, even if you don't like it you can still turn a pretty good profit on the bike itself, remember that most people that dive into this stuff would much rather have it all built for them instead of having to assemble it all themselves. KCvale has that idea very well figured out, no doubt you can possibly find a profit in either cash or raw experience or even a new fun hobby.

Wear your effing helmet.

Back