First build

This is my first build. I have posted for a while now but today was the first day I had where everything was in that allowed me to do my first step of painting the frame.

So far this build is going to be a retro/vintage looking Indian cruiser/board track racer.

The frame is a GT2A Skyhawk frame with 150mm drop out. The front forks are black powder coated 1 1/8" threadless Sunlite Deluxe double springer. Once my threadless stem arrives Monday I hope the paint to be cured enough to assemble the head set so I can cut my steer tube down to size then I will be using Eastwood Down to Metal paint and powdercoat stripper so I can paint the forks in the same color as the frame.

Anyways here are the photos I have taken from what I have done today.

Primered with Dupli-Color self etching primer
Primered%201_zps7iao2nnj.jpg

Base coat
Base%20Coat%201_zpsi7xkmiwe.jpg

Base Coat w/ Indian Script
Base%20Coat%20with%20Script%201_zpskjxv5nwh.jpg

First coat of clear
First%20Clear%20Coat%201_zpsoh4frllz.jpg

Second coat of clear
Second%20Clear%20Coat%201_zps0edut7ka.jpg

Third and final coat of clear
Final%20Clear%20Coat%201_zpscgsj02db.jpg

For me the shape of the frame resulted in some over spray with the clear so I am hoping when it comes to the buff stage after this clear had time to dry it will buff out. If not I still have some clear left over and I will simply put more clear where it needs it and just blend it in.

For those that are wondering the paint is 1949/1950 Dodge Red. This red as per PaintRef.com shows the mixing code is the same as Coke-Cola red. Which from my research a guy who had these bikes new said the closest match to Indian red was Coke-Cola red as that's what his guy did when there wasn't any Indian red for his bike he would use Coke-Cola red for a almost perfect match. The clear is automotive grade high gloss clear that I purchased from AutomotiveTouchup which is where the base coat came from as well. I have used their paint in the past for automotive and am very impressed with color matching even for 40+ year old vehicles that are sun bleached.

Hit a snag. Not only did I find out a few pieces are broken/bent in the included headset but when moving the frame and hanging it the other way I found some areas that I missed getting enough red on as well as clear. So I will be trying to blend in more clear in these thin areas as I already touched up the weak areas for red. Hopefully once done it can all be polished out and blended in.

I think for my next build I think I will get one of those cheap clothes hanger racks for when you are washing and repurpose it for hanging a frame from so I can have it more out in the sun for better 360* view.

Going to have to change my build yet again. I ordered the Celebrity board track handle bar from Jakes last night and just now got a full refund with no information. Went to HBBC`s site and found the same handle bars apparently they are out of stock. Love to know how can you make and sell handle bars for a living but yet they are out of stock.

In any case cant get a answer on how long till they are back in stock plus I found they are 7/8" which means they wont work on my threadless stem even with the 1" adapter I purchased so now I am off to find a different style of black handle bar that will look good like I thought these would.

I think for my next build I think I will get one of those cheap clothes hanger racks for when you are washing and repurpose it for hanging a frame from so I can have it more out in the sun for better 360* view.
I just take my frames to the local Powder Coater, $100 to do a frame and I don't have to lift a finger.

Great finish too.

I would have went the powder coated route but I wanted the decal to be sealed under the clear for protection.

But the next one I don't know what I will do this is still a learning process for me. Just don't like changing my ideas half ways into my plans. So far I have flipped from chrome to black now it looks like I will have to go back to chrome for some things that I changed to black.

Like the handle bars, I bought all black parts for the handle bar I was to buy only to find out that its out of stock but further more its a 7/8" handle bar when I already have an adapter to use a 1" handle bar. I found a batwing cruiser handle bar in chrome that I thought was a 1" but its also a 7/8" and I really don't want to use a adapter to size down a 1 1/4" stem to a 7/8" as I think that will just look way too tacky. Plus I already purchased the 1" adapter. Just amazed at how unstandard this hobby really is.

Well I purchased off ebay for $22 a 22.2mm to 31.8mm adapter black anodized which should go with my black VO tall threadless stem.

Now I just need to make a decision on handle bars do I wait for the Clubman Deluxe to come back into stock.
http://hbbcinc.com/product/clubman-bars-black/

Or do I say screw it and buy the Project 346 handlebars which from the photo looks identical to the Clubman Deluxe just not as tall of a rise/drop.
http://www.sutterstreetcruisers.com...ject-346-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Black-p57751033

Last edited:
There are standards, but they move on as technology progresses. It can be difficult to match bicycle parts that are separated by multiple generations.

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-handlebars.html
There is also now a 35mm clamp size for carbon mountain bike bars.

Sounds like they need to slow down the advancements then give time for everyone to catch up for a standardized set. I mean hell the GT2A frame I have comes in a 1 1/8" headset threadless is all you can get if you want to run a springer style front fork. Then 1 1/8" threadless headsets the only nice one I found that doesn't require the use of spacers only comes in a 31.8mm or 1 1/4" handle bar grip. But yet at the same time the throttle grip I want to run is only sized for 7/8" handle bars.

In any case I got a 7/8 to 1 1/4" handle bar adapter. Just trying to decide which would be better for me the Clubman handle bar or the Project 346 handle bar. I am told they are almost identical only difference is one has a higher rise/drop than the other.

Well I went with the Project 346 handle bar, last one they had in stock and the guy I was talking with through facebook said that they are almost identical and that they wont have any back in of the Clubman till the holidays. Sorry but they didn't specify and I sure as hell don't want my little summer project here to turn into a year long project. This project I started this summer as a little quickie project I could do on the weekends and have finished by fall.

Plus the lower drop on the handle bar I got I think might be better. I am after all 6ft 1in tall and the other bar might have put me in a uncomfortable position.

Last edited:
Sounds like they need to slow down the advancements then give time for everyone to catch up for a standardized set. I mean hell the GT2A frame I have comes in a 1 1/8" headset threadless is all you can get if you want to run a springer style front fork. Then 1 1/8" threadless headsets the only nice one I found that doesn't require the use of spacers only comes in a 31.8mm or 1 1/4" handle bar grip. But yet at the same time the throttle grip I want to run is only sized for 7/8" handle bars.

In any case I got a 7/8 to 1 1/4" handle bar adapter. Just trying to decide which would be better for me the Clubman handle bar or the Project 346 handle bar. I am told they are almost identical only difference is one has a higher rise/drop than the other.
Threadless headset with a 31.8mm handlebar grip? I suppose you mean the stem so what's wrong with the other items that do take 25.4mm or 28.6mm clamp size bars, or using some spacers on the steerer between the stem and headset or between the stem and top cap? Why does it sound like you got a riser stem and have you both flipped and slammed it?
I'm confused again about the throttle. The throttle body is made for 22.2mm diameter, and that's the standard for mountain bikes (and fat bikes with moustache bars?!) at the grip area, not at the bulged clamp area.

The stem yes, the stem clamp diameter is 31.8mm or 1 1/4" if you convert it. As far as 25.4 or 28.6mm clamp size I didn't see any listed for the retro/vintage style I am looking for.

As far as using spacers on the steerer between the stem and headset sure I could use them but my whole goal is for a retro/vintage looking build. I originally wanted to run a threaded quilled stem for that vintage look. But had to change plans then I found the one piece VO threadless stem that has a 75mm height which gives me that one piece vintage quill stem look without the use of spacers. Down side is this stem that I found only comes in a 31.8mm clamp diameter.

Now at the grip area is supposed to be 7/8 but looking at photos of the handlebar I just purchased there is no bulge at the clamp area so it is 7/8" there as well. All of the vintage looking board track racer style handle bars and even the café racer style bars I found in black did not have this raised clamp bulge. I did see over on Sutter Street they claim the handle bar I purchased is a 1" bar. If it is great I can send the $22 adapter I just bought back for a refund. Otherwise if it is 7/8" like the photo shows due to no bulge then I have the adapter to use it.

What I mean about flipping it is the handle bar will be mounted "upside down" where the bars will curve downward vs upwards. The stem will be mounted up right with the stem clamp being mounted roughly 75mm above the headset.

The stem yes, the stem clamp diameter is 31.8mm or 1 1/4" if you convert it. As far as 25.4 or 28.6mm clamp size I didn't see any listed for the retro/vintage style I am looking for.

As far as using spacers on the steerer between the stem and headset sure I could use them but my whole goal is for a retro/vintage looking build. I originally wanted to run a threaded quilled stem for that vintage look. But had to change plans then I found the one piece VO threadless stem that has a 75mm height which gives me that one piece vintage quill stem look without the use of spacers. Down side is this stem that I found only comes in a 31.8mm clamp diameter.

Now at the grip area is supposed to be 7/8 but looking at photos of the handlebar I just purchased there is no bulge at the clamp area so it is 7/8" there as well. All of the vintage looking board track racer style handle bars and even the café racer style bars I found in black did not have this raised clamp bulge. I did see over on Sutter Street they claim the handle bar I purchased is a 1" bar. If it is great I can send the $22 adapter I just bought back for a refund. Otherwise if it is 7/8" like the photo shows due to no bulge then I have the adapter to use it.

What I mean about flipping it is the handle bar will be mounted "upside down" where the bars will curve downward vs upwards. The stem will be mounted up right with the stem clamp being mounted roughly 75mm above the headset.
It sounds like all your problems stem (stem! :D ) from trying to stick to a certain look instead of letting form follow function. Which I'm not going to criticise (it's your bike), but it does make things tricky for you!

Back