First Build

New to the concept, but definitely having fun building this. Still have some work to do (disc brakes, better tensioner system, wide crossover stand, drum up the nads to ride it), but I think I’ve navigated a few of the mismatches and frustrations.

E567E815-62AB-4755-8EDD-A86DB3A275F9.jpeg

almost there! i know you can't wait to take it out for a spin haha. go easy first few tanks n until bolts take a set and check em often,,
keep us updated,, if you have questions or share experiences we like to hear

Nice tyres for mtb trails. (y)

Yes, FOTI, think they’ll work very well. I like the higher pressure (I’ll only run them at 40#, ‘til I can see how they handle on hard flat ground), having these on the narrower stock Mongoose rims should protect those Continental sidewalls a bit, and rolling the knobs over a little further should help the side grip. Pushing it a little with the 2.2s, though — the RST Aerial fork tube bridge misses the tread by only 1/4”, and the 415 chain misses the rear sidewall by 1/8”. Since I don’t really plan to do mudding, too much gravel and definitely no snow/slush, should be able to keep the chain clear and the paint on the tubes, at least for a while.

THANK YOU!

Thank you! I think my new bike is pretty similar to my old bike(avatar) but nicer.

My only suggestion is unless you are in the dirt a lot change the tires. Knobbies don't last very long on a motorized bike.

Thank you! I think my new bike is pretty similar to my old bike(avatar) but nicer.

My only suggestion is unless you are in the dirt a lot change the tires. Knobbies don't last very long on a motorized bike.

Wise point. Wear was one consideration, when switching out the WalMart 1.95s, before they ever hit the ground. A motorized hardtail is probably gonna eat ‘em even quicker? There’s 110mm cush on the front, but that won’t slow the steering wear. An MTB stance is a bit higher than a cruiser (like yours [again, diggin’ it]), but I do like the idea of streeters like the ones you have, for long term, as well as maybe not chatterin’ Teeth with knobbies.

Back tire wear is a lot faster than pedal power. The Hookworms are great tires as long as you use down hill tubes. I have a kenda dh in the back. It's something like 2.35mm thick. CST Cyclops are also great tires according to some well respected members here and the other forum.

Looks good!

As far as suggestions, the 4-bolt tensioners do better on those small tapered chainstays than the older single 2 bolt style since one side can tighten more than the other to make up for the taper. The stock bearing doesn't last too long in them anyway and most replace it pretty quickly with a better cover mounted spring loaded setup so just something to keep in mind.

The pull starter was notoriously unreliable but apparently recently a new version was released which addressed some of the issues...not familiar enough with them to tell the difference from a picture but if I were you I would try to see which version you have. If its the older one, might be good to order a replacement now to have on hand in case of any issues in the future.

Also, the kit chain guard on the motor chain is damn near impossible to keep firmly in place in a usable area so expect a lot of rattling and coming lose from it. Might be worth removing unless you get caught in mud and rain often.

Back