First Build

New to the concept, but definitely having fun building this. Still have some work to do (disc brakes, better tensioner system, wide crossover stand, drum up the nads to ride it), but I think I’ve navigated a few of the mismatches and frustrations.

E567E815-62AB-4755-8EDD-A86DB3A275F9.jpeg

I see that! 👍

Wuz actually opening my stork box, just as I saw yer pic! Was questioning the survivability of these, ‘til I (thankfully) saw yerz. Between me hatin’ most of the roller/tensioner rigs out there, an’ makin’ the mistake of choosin’ a vertical dropout frame (no tugs, and I admittedly regret that), I been thinkin’ on a 3-wheel free-floater chain eater. However, that idea may hafta be for another setup — you and I have the same clearance pro’lem, runnin’ 2.0+ rears. Maybe solve two pro’lems with one fab, when I finally do th’ rear caliper bracket?

FINALLY got ‘nough stretch outta that kit 415 chain t’ pull th’ last link-and-a-half out, and NO Fisher-Price tensioner! Well.., at least for now... 🤣 Nex’ time.., DEFINITELY rearward dropouts ‘n tugs!

Even with the 32T rear, NO chain wrap-up, NO chug!

Bought a good 10’ chunk of 41 and more masters, so I can have a couple of backups to work on stretchin’ out. Not givin’ up on th’ great idler, Spare_Parts, ‘cause I really do dig where ye went with that — jus’ lovin’ the “moto” feel (short-lived as it’ll be) of a good broke-in chain. 👍

I only put that tensioner on because of violent chain harmonics that I haven't sorted out yet. As soon as I do the jockey wheel is coming off. One less part to have issues with down the road.

Couldn’t take it! Chain bein’ in th’ sweet spot, jus’ hadda give it a go... Still too weak to feel all too confident, so it wuz jus’ a two-pass, up ‘n down th’ block.

Pedaled in 2/4 of 3/7, choked and popped th’ clutch — came right t’ life.

MxSpd - 19.5mph (comp/speedo) @ 2,900rmp (tach) on the last bit o’ 20:1 (after 1hr total run-in during testing). Wrist isn’t strong enough to go full twist (so it took my left hand reaching over, to full-twist and release the choke), so I’m guessin’ it was at about half-throttle. Total test distance 0.2mi, and that’s on a hill. I’m optimistic!

Definitely a wet plug (rich), so ordered the Dellorto #60-#75 5x tuning jet set. Gonna start with the #65, pro’ly. Also, changing to 32:1 StaMix. Not gonna attempt any breathing mods, ‘til I get a bead on bone-stock piston/jug match and output (which, to me, is already kinda impressive, when ye figger the crap-shoot some folks tell nightmares of) . It does have a CDHPower head, copper head gasket and the D-clone carb, but internals and specs are still straight 80cc unmodified. Was also lookin’ at the engine casts, for any additional external identifiers — TOTALLY without ANY casting marks, ‘cept this...

85BA543C-C77E-4744-AA6D-399BA2DDA465.jpeg

I'm looking forward to when your wrist is knitted up well enough to put this bike to the test. With all the thought put into this build it should be a reliable, safe, and good running bike.

I'm looking forward to when your wrist is knitted up well enough to put this bike to the test. With all the thought put into this build it should be a reliable, safe, and good running bike.

THANK YOU, Gary55! You’ve all been a very patient and vast wealth of information. The pics, the suggestions, all the experience to read through... Priceless!

Yeah, this arm has pro’ly been my biggest frustration. Ye jus’ wanna hop up an’ go rippin’ this puppy downhill.., but... 🤣

I only put that tensioner on because of violent chain harmonics that I haven't sorted out yet. As soon as I do the jockey wheel is coming off. One less part to have issues with down the road.

Thinkin’ that harmonics thing through... What’s the rear sprocket tooth grind look like? Wondering if the mesh (similar to “kerf”, in a blade) couldn’t be doing that [setting up cyclic interference, if there’s no variation in pattern — same principle as tread variation in tires]... I don’t have enough experience to know all the dynamics of different meshes, but... Curious to hear what you find, ‘cause I’m pro’ly gonna run into the same issue, with 2.2s at higher RPMs, if the sprocket wears into a pattern. Hmmm...

I believe my issue is a bent link somewhere in the chain. Swapping it out today. This sprocket arrangement was on the last bike without a single problem. When i got my chains one of the boxes was all beat up so that why I'm thinking bent link.

2.2 tires should have plenty of clearance.

Back