First flat....man, that sucked!

I got my staton up and running saturday, went 5 miles, I was looking at my chain when I should have been looking at the road, hit apretty bad pot hole and got a flat, No problem to change, but I didn't put the masterlink clip on securely. 5 miles down the road my chain flew off, luckily I had my chainbreaker and a few spare links.
BTW, I use 1.95 fairly smooth road tires, they ride like night and day compared to the thinner 1.50 mountain tires I previosly used. Especialy since I have more weight on the back wheel with the gearbox. I have heard that an ounce of weight on the wheel is worth 4 on the frame, so I stopped using liners and those thick inner tubes. I've had pretty good luck with flats, I just need to stay away from those big potholes. LOL. BTW my top speed with the 17 tooth gearbox sprocket is clos to 40mph. More than enough for me and it still climbs pretty good. The only issue I have is the gearbox is abit on the noisy side. Dave staton said to add 2 ounces of gear oil and run it a couple hundred miles. I've put a hundred and it's getting alittle better. Any issues with yours?

The gear box made a LITTLE bit of noise....maybe a little more than it does now, but never anything too noticeable or concerning to me. On the way in today, I hit 37+ but I felt a pretty strong head wind. I would not be a bit surprised if I hit 40 on the way home....it's usually faster and the wind will be mostly at my back.

Warner

Back